Bacon Wrapped Cream Cheese Jalapeno Bites

by doughmesstic on November 4, 2010

in Jon DoughMessTic, tailgating

It isn’t often that my husband, Jon, is influenced by a food in such a way that he feels the need to recreate it.  These Jalapeno Bites are an exception.  He came home one day from work, raving about an appetizer his friend Adam brought in.  Cream cheese filled jalapenos. I’ll be honest – I’m not a fan of spicy foods, and hot peppers have never really been my thing.  That is, until I got a bite of one of these bad boys.

The overall experience isn’t all that hot.  What you get is a nice tangy punch from the cream cheese, the salty, greasy goodness of the bacon, and just enough bite from the jalapeno to let you know you are onto something good.  I can’t take any responsibility for this one at all folks…it’s all the Man.  He took his friend’s idea and changed it up, according to what he he felt seemed appropriate.

I think he really hit the mark.

Give it a try at your next gathering or tailgate party – you’ll have some impressed eaters!

jonpoppercu

Bacon Wrapped Cream Cheese Jalapeno Bites

makes 24jonpoppers

• 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
  • 2 teaspoons onion powder
  • 2 teaspoons garlic powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1 teaspoon Old Bay
  • Pinch of Salt
  • 12 Jalapenos, halved & seeded
  • 24 – six inch pieces of bacon, uncooked

Preheat oven to 350F.

Combine cream cheese and spices in small bowl.  Spoon mixture into each pepper half, until level.  Wrap each in bacon, and place on baking sheet.  Bake for 40-45 minutes.  Remove and enjoy!

Until next time, have a great day!

Margaret November 4, 2010 at 12:02 pm

I made something similar years ago off of a recipe from Emeril’s tailgate special. It was one of those competitions where people sent in recipes. The guy who made these had sun dried tomatoes in the cream cheese.

I look forward to trying your version since I’m a big fan of Old Bay. I bet they are yummy. These work well on a grill at a tailgate too.

Donna November 7, 2011 at 2:35 pm

I made these before and they were so hot, no one could eat them! Any advice? I seeded them, but maybe I need to remove more of the pulp? Thanks!!

doughmesstic November 7, 2011 at 5:49 pm

Really? I can’t imagine why, unless you accidentally bought peppers that weren’t jalapeno. Hmm. I personally do not like hot foods, and these are just a little bit of a kick. I’ve heard from dozens of people who adore these, so I’m honestly NOT sure what to tell you, other than to try again? Please let me know!

Albert December 18, 2011 at 6:47 pm

Some jalapenos are much hotter than others. It depends on the time of year, where they were grown, growing conditions, and a myriad of other factors. Most of the capsaicin (the chemical responsible for making things hot) is in the translucent membrane that lines the inside of the pepper. Slicing that out with a sharp paring knife will cut down on the heat considerably. Wear gloves! My hands were burning for hours last time I got caught off guard with a particularly hot batch of peppers.

Donna January 31, 2012 at 5:49 pm

Thanks for the information. I’ll try cutting out more of the membrane next time and maybe pre-cooking prior to filling them.

Susan January 6, 2012 at 4:20 pm

I’ve found that the longer you cook them, the milder they are. I’ve parboiled them prior to filling them to take some of the heat out.

shauna January 27, 2012 at 5:48 pm

What I do is heat the pepper up on a frying back before stuffing them. Or you could boil them for a quick 30 seconds.

Terri Seibech July 28, 2012 at 12:44 am

Many times jalapenos aren’t hot enough, and other times they are too hot. This is normal, and happens often. The membrane is as hot as the seeds also!

Tonya August 18, 2012 at 11:06 am

to keep them from being hot take out all of the ribs and seeds, then they will be very mild

Brandie December 7, 2013 at 2:47 pm

You can tell the heat of the jalapeño by looking at the skin. The smoother the skin, the milder the heat and the more wrinkled the skin is, the hotter it will be.

Cheryl August 16, 2012 at 1:57 pm

Try putting a shrimp on each pepper under the bacon.

Kristin November 4, 2010 at 12:07 pm

Sounds yummy and I know my oldest would LOVE them!

Ronece November 4, 2010 at 2:16 pm

I make these for every event or party I go to…they are always a hit and I never take any home with me (sadly). They are always requested.
All I do is mix a little honey with the cream cheese. Plain and simple. The sweet/salty/spicy mix is da bomb!

Miss in the Kitchen November 4, 2010 at 2:58 pm

I’ve been wanting to try something like this. I might brush some sweet bbq sauce over the bacon just before they are done, sounds fantastic!

Tracy November 5, 2010 at 5:50 pm

I love these! I tried them for the first time last year, and fell in love with them instantly. I like making them for the Super Bowl, too!

Jessie November 6, 2010 at 12:48 pm

Do you think I could keep them warm in a crockpot or are they good at room temp? We always bring bacon wrapped smokies for Holiday events, this would be a great addition!

Kris November 8, 2010 at 12:33 am

I just made these yesterday when I hosted the chili cook off for my MOMS club. They were delicious and not one was left!!! I can’t wait to make them again!

Jenny Flake November 8, 2010 at 6:38 pm

INSANE girl, these look so great!!

Jen @ How To: Simplify November 8, 2010 at 10:54 pm

Bacon…cream cheese…sold! These look awesome!

Cookin' Canuck November 11, 2010 at 5:04 am

I love this easy appetizer. Fantastic flavors all in one little bundle.

Craftytrvlr September 24, 2011 at 2:06 pm

I made these for our “football food” today! AMAZING!!! Thanks for the recipe!

Hayden November 14, 2011 at 12:04 am

The trick is to make sure you “gut them” well. And rinse with cold water. I sip the seasoning & use pineapple cream cheese. OMG they are sooo addicting. I’ve made them numerous times andthe pineapple is by far the best!

Gigi November 26, 2011 at 5:16 pm

These are in the oven right now — I hope they turn out! I went with one of the other suggestions above and bought a small can of crushed pineapple to mix in with the cream cheese instead of the more savory seasonings, and I made sure to seed these really well and remove the ribs inside the peppers. Hope they’re not too hot – about to bring them to a post-Thanksgiving Thanksgiving dinner…! They look great!

doughmesstic November 27, 2011 at 7:14 pm

How’d they turn out??

Gigi December 2, 2011 at 3:01 pm

Delicious! They were a huge hit. Though some of them were pretty hot, others weren’t hot at all. Seems to depend on the pepper!

Debbie January 9, 2012 at 3:02 pm

We love these but we do them on the grill outside. We mix it up, sometimes put a stick of cheddar in the middle of the pepper along with the cream cheese. We have even put peanut butter in them with cheese. The smoke gives them so much flavor. Yummy!

Barb B. January 9, 2012 at 5:02 pm

Mrs. Dough, you have done it again! ;)

Julie January 11, 2012 at 5:50 pm

I made this before but the cream cheese melted and ran out of the peppers. What is the trick to avoid this?!

doughmesstic January 11, 2012 at 11:29 pm

Hmmm. Strange! We’ve not had that problem at all. One trick is to move quickly, don’t let the cream cheese get too warm. If you think you’ve taken too long, pop them in the fridge for a bit before baking. Any chance your oven isn’t keeping good temp?

Audrey March 13, 2012 at 2:06 am

RE: melted cream cheese.
I have made mozarella sticks before & to keep the cheese from melting you freeze it before you dip, bread & bake them. Maybe doing that with the cream cheese would help?

Nicole January 15, 2012 at 2:25 pm

Has anyone prepped the night before then popped them
In the oven?

Kitty February 7, 2012 at 11:52 am

I did not do it the night before, but I did make them about 9 hours before I wanted to cook them. I put them on the pan they would be cooked on, prepared them completely, then covered them with plastic wrap until cooking time. No problems.

Sarah January 17, 2012 at 12:22 am

Try adding Jimmy Dean breakfast sausage to the mix. Mmmm that’s how we do them and they are delish!

Kitty February 7, 2012 at 11:48 am

I made these for Super Bowl and they are delicious! The only thing is that the bacon was not as crispy as my family would prefer. (I find this happens on “bacon wrapped” things.) For next time, I will use all the same ingredients and measures, but I will cook the filled peppers separately from the bacon, then sprinkle the bacon on top. That will give us the wonderful crust that forms on the cream cheese, and crispy bacon bits to boot. LOVE THEM!

lynn townsley October 26, 2013 at 4:55 pm

I always bake my bacon in the oven until just about done. Then I take each slice and wrap around the jalepeno and cook in the oven. This makes the bacon much crispier when done.

ambyrae February 7, 2012 at 5:18 pm

For those complaining about the heat, the more of a point the pepper has, the spicier it will be. So the rounded ends are less spicy!

Ashley February 29, 2012 at 5:46 pm

I live in the south and everybody knows, we love our spicy foods! My dad has been making ‘armadillo eggs’ since I was a baby! Simple cream cheese stuffed in jalepenos and wrapped in bacon. Throw em on the grill and let them smoke for about an hour and they are DELICIOUS!

Katlyn March 17, 2012 at 5:44 pm

My husband tried making these tonight (He is a great cook!) For St.Patties Day, and he did an excellent job, thanks so much for this recipe!

Becky March 23, 2012 at 9:02 am

How far ahead of time can I prep these?

doughmesstic March 23, 2012 at 11:36 am

Good question! I’m not positive, but I would expect 2 days or so wouldn’t be too far in advance.

Mel April 3, 2012 at 6:06 pm

I love my stuffed jalepeno with smoked gruyere instead of cream cheese.

amy April 16, 2012 at 4:01 pm

DEFINITELY WEAR GLOVES! I cannot stress that enough — the first time I made these my hands were burning for hours afterwards. Nothing like having your mother pour milk and lime juice over your hands in the kitchen in front of the boyfriend you were trying to impress with your cooking skills ;) I also like to add shredded cheddar cheese on top of the cream cheese before i wrap the bacon around. I feel the way that the cheddar melts helps to keep the cream cheese from melting out and keep the bacon in place. It also helps cut out even more of the spice.

Cherie April 24, 2012 at 1:14 pm

Made these with lunch today. I didn’t have whole jalapenos but had a can of diced. I just mixed it up with everything else and wrapped the bacon to make a pouch…SO delicious! Will be making these for my next party too.

Taryn May 7, 2012 at 2:33 pm

We do this except add a little smoky to the middle. I can’t imagine having it without the little smoky! We call them Armadillo eggs.

LeAnne May 28, 2012 at 1:03 am

What about grilling these rather than in the oven? Or would the cream cheese ooze out too much (while trying to get the bacon cooked thoroughly)??

I’ved made these using Monterrey Jack cheese rather than cream cheese… yummy.

Julianne May 29, 2012 at 8:51 am

Hi there! I happened to repin your recipe for this on Pinterest awhile back and since then it has been repinned from me 1,922 times!! I finally made them yesterday and I can see why they are such a hit…they were fantastic! I was amazed at how simple they were. Thanks so much for sharing your recipe =)

Liz June 5, 2012 at 7:15 pm

I used capers with the cream cheese. SO YUM!!!!!!!!!

Missy July 11, 2012 at 3:24 pm

We cook ours on the grill. They are great!!

dcava2964 July 29, 2012 at 1:50 pm

I am trying these tonight. I am adding lump crab meat to the cream cheese mixture!

KB September 2, 2012 at 8:58 am

Another twist we do traditionally when we have gatherings is just plain cream cheese, no spices and place a lil smokies sausage into the cream cheese and wrap the whole thing in bacon. The juices run wild in your mouth from the combination of the bacon, the lil smoky and the jalapeno. Let me know what you think of that one. We love it. And yes, the membrane is what makes the jalapeno hot, I only leave a tiny bit in ours. Montezuma truly does get revenge!!

Trish November 8, 2012 at 3:54 pm

I make these too, but I baste them with Sweet Baby Rays BBQ sauce. The sweet adds a nice layer to the taste.

Stephanie November 25, 2012 at 11:15 pm

My husband makes these and they are to die for! He puts a little smokey in each pepper in the cream cheese. After wrapping them in bacon, he then rolls them in brown sugar. Then smokes them on his treager. You will think you have died and gone to heaven!

Heather December 18, 2012 at 12:27 pm

Can u use pickled jalapeno’s instead of fresh

doughmesstic December 18, 2012 at 2:31 pm

No…not in this recipe.

Victoria December 31, 2012 at 4:29 pm

Hi all. Just reading this recipe with much interest. My husband would love these, but I do not eat peppers. Would there be an alternative that I could use for myself whilst using jalapeños for him? The actual recipe sounds very mouth watering, so I’m hoping that I can find something for us both to enjoy. Happy new year to you all. X

doughmesstic January 2, 2013 at 11:00 pm

Eek – not sure what it would be. As long as you are careful and remove all of the seeds, these really aren’t too hot. I am not a fan of hot foods, and I love these peppers!

Mandy December 31, 2012 at 9:52 pm

I can’t WAIT to try these tomorrow for New Years snacks……my hubby is a big an of HOT foods!

Sandra January 27, 2013 at 12:41 pm

I made these last night and they were absolutely delicious and easy to make,can’t wait to make them for a family party in afew weeks.

Sandra January 27, 2013 at 12:43 pm

I made these last night they were absolutely delicious,can’t wait to make them in afew weeks for a family party.

Andrea February 25, 2013 at 1:12 am

looks so yummy – Jalopenos on shopping list….. :)

Anna March 26, 2013 at 1:10 am

I am Mexican\American any hoot, jalapeños if they have little white lines running across they are spicey! Also, if they are fresh, most likely spicy! You can buy them a week before and make this recipe and won’t be so hard to chew either. Good luck!

kenz June 27, 2013 at 7:17 pm

I’m 15 and love cooking. I saw these and decided today was the day to try them out. They are in the oven right now!!!!

Tony August 12, 2013 at 3:47 pm

I make these ahead as we harvest our jalapeno peppers. I fill the jalapeno with the creme cheese, wrap a half slice of bacon around it and freeze on a sheet pan. When they are frozen I divide them into baggies holding the amount appropriate for our next party. When Super Bowl or National Championship game comes around, I just put the frozen jalapenos on a sheet pan and bake til the bacon is crisp. I think the cream cheese doesn’t melt out because it was frozen. My big question is can I cook them, freeze them, and just reheat when we get to the tailgate party? We will be traveling to some of the Big 10 games and I would like the convenience of just reheating for a few minutes on a grill rather than doing the cooking when we get to the party. Has anybody tried the cook ahead and reheat scenario? How did it turn out?