Valentine Inspirations…and My Tee Shirt Scarf

by doughmesstic on February 8, 2011

in Crafts

I love when I find something online I just HAVE to HAVE.  It doesn’t often happen, but when it does…oh man.  I’m gung-ho and ready to go.

scarfpiccolorTake for example this Tee Shirt Scarf I found the tutorial for over on Amanda’s Site.  Number One, I LOVE scarves.  I can’t get enough of them, and you’ll find me wearing them about 11 months out of the year.  Totally transforms a simple jean jacket into a new outfit every day, which make them great for traveling.  Throw a few in your carry on, and voila – you have little to carry and lots of changeability.

Number Two, I can’t sew.  I love crafty things, but I have no sewing abilities.  My mom can sew…and typically, I’ll put her on the plethora of clothing/craft ideas that pop into my head.  Not fair to her, of course, but I do have a love of aprons and she’s a whiz at making them.  This Tee Shirt Scarf?  No Sewing.  That I can handle.

Number Three – We are over run with tee shirts in this house.  Over. Run.  Jon looks like a walking advertisement for Virginia Tech he has so many Hokie Tee Shirts.  And he NEVER wants to part with them.  But give the shirts a new life?  He budged.  He donated lots of his tees to my scarf making project. Free Scarf?  Yes, please!  And believe it or not, he was a great supporter of my crafting!

Now, you can find the full on play by play for how to make this scarf, as well as a LOT of other creative ideas, at Amanda’s.  But let me tell you, it’s beyond easy.  For the quick and dirty version, here you go…

Tee Shirt Scarf

IMG_2196

1 – Find a few old tees you don’t mind cutting up.  Be SURE they are regular tees, not the girly stretch tees as those will NOT work. (Don’t ask me how I know this.) Regular old tee shirts are what you need.  For the two I made, I chose Grey, Khaki and White, and for the other Dark Pink, White and Grey. (The dark pink looks red, though.)

2- Cut the bottom hem off of the shirt, just above where it’s sewn.  Keep it, because it has a purpose.

IMG_21533- Start cutting strips about an inch of so wide from the shirt.  Cut through the whole shirt.  Don’t split it, make loops.  All around the body of the shirt, all the way up to the arm holes.  From a man’s shirt, I got about 12-14 loops, from the women’s, about 10.  All told, you need about 32 loops.

4 – Once all of your loops are made, pick each one up and give it a good stretch.  This causes the loop to twist on itself.  If your Tee has writing on it, just turn the shirt inside out before cutting it, and you’ll never see the writing, as it will disappear once the shirt has been stretched.

5 – Take your stretched loops and twist each one around your hand, making a tight little bundle/circle.  Like this picture…

6 – Now you have all of your parts, so pull out those hems you cut off earlier and snip them into pieces about 4 to 5 inches long.  use these to tie each loop to the next.  Repeat until you’ve tied them all together.

Wear it! Enjoy it!

Now, perhaps you are even lazier than I am, and you just want some pretty Valentine things.  No problem – crafts aren’t for everyone.  That’s why there is Etsy!  Look at the goodies I found there…

imageimage

imageimage

Scarves to buy that you don’t have to make…

Flannel with Vintage Buttons, by Mimi’s Whimsy

Another Tee Shirt Scarf, just a little different design, from Megan’s Menagerie

Crocheted Garnet Scarf from Ayca

Red Marshmallow Scarf, from EasyBaby

Do YOU know of a craft project I could get into?  Remember, no sewing, cute, girly…or just about anything I can do with my three year old would be great!  Seen a Valentine’s Craft I need to know about?  Fill me in!

Have  a great day everyone!

Miss in the Kitchen February 8, 2011 at 12:22 am

Awesome! I can’t sew either! Super cute.

doughmesstic February 8, 2011 at 12:33 am

I so wish I could. Let me know if you decide to try this. It literally took about an hour and a half. Turn on the TV, grab the scissors, a movie later and you have a scarf!

marla {family fresh cooking} February 8, 2011 at 8:07 am

I love that you took the time to make this scarf & you are soooo pretty in it. Love the photos – looks like you had fun :)

doughmesstic February 8, 2011 at 3:08 pm

Thank you Marla – you are too kind. I can see you making one to mach those rocking green cowboy boots. Awesome.

Leslie February 8, 2011 at 9:24 am

Omg..that is toooo cute! I love it!

doughmesstic February 8, 2011 at 3:07 pm

Well – Make one! We can be matchy matchy roommates in May! :) So excited!

MzHokie February 8, 2011 at 2:26 pm

We too are walking advertisements for Virginia Tech, especially now that they sell those cheap t-shirts for the Orange and Maroon effect games. They are great for around the house cleaning, letting my long haired cat curl up in my lap, yard work, etc. :) I think this would be a great project and a way to use up a few old shirts . THANKS!!!

doughmesstic February 8, 2011 at 3:07 pm

Meghan, I am SO going to be sporting Maroon & Orange Tee Shirt Scarves this fall. You and I can match! Hopefully we can catch up this year at one of the games!

Dawn (KitchenTravels) February 8, 2011 at 2:26 pm

So cute! Very clever. And that photo of you is adorable.

doughmesstic February 8, 2011 at 3:05 pm

Thank you! Wish I could claim the idea as my own! PS – If I’m adorable, you need to get out more. :)

Belladune February 8, 2011 at 3:01 pm

beautiful scarf! you could totally get into wet felting, My 3 year old will make snakes until I’m done what I’m felting (generally, cell phone covers, ipod covers, scarves, smaller things like that) And my 5 year old will make balls or beads to make mommy (or his friends) necklaces and bracelets. you can learn about wet felting here: http://www.feltinglessons.com/

It’s awesome and super informative! and it’s in Video form, so you can actually see the process before you start!
Happy Crafting!

doughmesstic February 8, 2011 at 3:05 pm

I would LOVE to learn to felt! i am drawn every year to a crafter at a local show who makes felted caps, of which I am a sucker for. making my own might be a stretch, but I’d love to! Thanks for the link!

Belladune February 8, 2011 at 3:15 pm

you are totally welcome! my advice, start small….. I’ve tossed a few projects because they were much to large a project (I went from cell phone covers to slippers…… yeah… that was a sad day when I had to toss 8 oz of wool out…. )

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction February 8, 2011 at 3:45 pm

Wow! I am obsessed with scarves, too… I have to give this a try. And, I’ve been meaning to clean out my t-shirt drawer, so this is a win-win!

doughmesstic February 8, 2011 at 5:40 pm

It’s so easy. if you make one, tell me about it!

Sharlene February 8, 2011 at 9:34 pm

How creative!

doughmesstic February 11, 2011 at 12:20 am

If only I could take the credit for it! :)

Angie Walker February 9, 2011 at 12:51 pm

Gorgeous scarf!! I love it!! My daughter is going to flip when I show her this scarf. Thanks for sharing.

doughmesstic February 11, 2011 at 12:20 am

I hope she loves it, and I hope you’ll share if you end up making one! I love seeing results!

Kali March 1, 2011 at 10:42 am

While I can sew, I will definitely try this project before my next t-shirt clean-out!

Katie March 1, 2011 at 8:42 pm

This scarf is such a great idea, and so cute. When I saw it I just had to try it, and it worked great! It was so easy and a fantastic way to use old T-shirts. I love your blog!

Grace March 2, 2011 at 7:48 am

I absolutely love this! Being from the south even the slightest chill sends me running for scarves, I will definitely be attempting to make this soon.

Kannica March 4, 2011 at 11:43 pm

What a neat idea. I now know what to do with all those free t-shirts given out at the beginning of the school year.

Ayca November 28, 2011 at 3:09 pm

Thanks for including my garnet scarf…And thank you for this great tutorial :)

jo-lyn's cup cakes n' candies January 13, 2012 at 10:59 pm

I did a ‘pay-it-forward’ post on Facebook where I get to make something for the first five people to comment on that specific post and then they were to do the same and so on… I think I just found at least one of my projects! Thanks for a great idea!

doughmesstic January 14, 2012 at 11:03 pm

What a great idea! They are sure to love it, and for you, the price is RIGHT! (I love recycling things like that!)

Taryn April 7, 2012 at 12:52 pm

OH MY! I loved the pin. And then, oh, then I clicked over to see it live. And found a Hokie. And I am sooooooo in love!!!! I bet our family of 4 has at least 10 VT shirts each. Maybe 15. In fact, 3 of the 4 of us have one on now. Since I missed this last season, I see you guys in Lane this fall. And I’ll be sporting a scarf. And we’ll wink. (I’ll be there in 2 weeks for Spring Game, too!) I featured this on a round up of how to give new life to closet discards! http://pinsandprincesses.blogspot.com/2012/04/whats-in-your-closet.html

doughmesstic April 8, 2012 at 10:30 pm

Another Hokie, yay! Sorry I will miss you at the Spring Game. My husband will be there with my son, plus a few of our college friends. I, however, will be in New York State touring Veal and Dairy farms! I try to make it to a few games every year (and even more tailgates), but since the boy has come along, someone has to stay home and watch him. Thanks so much for featuring the scarf – I hope you continue to love it! Keep in touch!

Melissa Rowlett-Stallings November 16, 2012 at 2:41 am

If you like hair bows for your little girl, you can take some felt fabric sheets and cut several rectangle shapes about 3-4 inches long and maybe an inch wide, take your thumb and index finger and on the top and bottom of the fabric in the middle of the rectangle, clamp it together to create a bow shape. Then cut another piece of the felt to go over the center part where you clamped it and wrap it around the bow and hot glue the back to close it and you have a bow. It’s late and my directions might sound crazy so it might be easier to look it up on you tube. It’s called how to make a felt bow. its so inexpensive and you can make a lot just out of a few sheets of felt. Add a bobby pin to the back and you have a cute bow and its perfect for gifts or even party favors.

Melissa Rowlett-Stallings November 16, 2012 at 2:45 am

By the way this would make a beautiful Xmas gift to any scarf lover or anyone for that matter. It’s very cute and I never would have guessed it was made from old T-shirts. I think I will try this for someone this year. Thanks for the post