My Go To Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe

Everyone should have one…a go to cookie recipe.  But not just ANY cookie – a chocolate chip cookie.  Who doesn’t love chocolate chip cookies?  Who doesn’t have some childhood fondness for the taste of the dough, the warm chocolate stuck to your fingers from the just out of the oven first bite?

Chocolate chip cookies are already one of Seven’s favorite foods, and I hope one of these days he’ll look back on these days, when I taught him to make them, allowing him to measure out the sugar and flour.  I hope he’ll share the same experience with his own children, and I hope that maybe it’s this recipe he will use.

So, why is this particular recipe the one I call my go to?  First off, it’s never let me down.  The results are always fabulous, no matter what little adjustments I make to it.  I’ll change out the sweetness of the chocolate chips, I’ll often switch up the sugars.  Sometimes I’ll add bourbon in place of the vanilla, or throw some walnuts in.  But it is this basic recipe that I use as my base, and it stands on it’s own as one incredible cookie recipe.  A little bit chewy, a whole lot gooey, and not one bit cakey.

Just the way I like ‘em.

chchco2

My Best Chocolate Chip Cookies

chchco3makes 20 extra large cookies

• 12  Tablespoons Browned Butter (salted butter)
  • 1/3 cup Dark Brown Sugar
  • 1/2 cup Light Brown sugar
  • 2/3 cup Sugar
  • 2 large eggs
  • 2 teaspoons Vanilla
  • 2 cups plus 2 Tablespoons All Purpose Flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda
  • 9 ounces chopped chocolate bars (I mix Milk & Semi-sweet Scharffen-Berger)
  • sea salt or fleur de sel for topping

Once butter is browned and slightly cooled, add butter to sugars and mix well.  Add the eggs and vanilla to the batter and mix thoroughly.  Combine the dry ingredients in a separate bowl, then add to batter, beating only until combined.

Add chocolates to batter, then place mixing bowl in refrigerator for 15 minutes to cool a bit. Preheat oven to 325 while dough chills.

Place balls of dough on prepared cookie sheet (I highly recommend a SilPat for this), leaving tops quite jagged so that cookies get nice surfaces. Sprinkle with sea salt or fleur de sel. Bake for 15 minutes, or until just golden brown, for best results.

chchco1

Questions you may have…

Why brown the butter?  Believe me, until you try it, you won’t understand it.  Browned butter adds such a richness that can’t be achieved without browning it.  You notice the nutty aroma while it is cooking, and once you try it, I doubt you’ll go back to your old microwave method!

Why use chopped chocolate versus chips?  Don’t get me wrong, chips are great.  But chopping up your own chocolate bar gives you multiple sizes of chocolate within your cookie, from slivers that melt right in to the cookie, to large chunks that get gooey and pop into a burst of goodness when you take a bite.  I like having the variation!

Do YOU have a go-to recipe?  I’d love to hear about it!  Leave me a link here and I will definitely check it out!  Until then, check back here every day this week – I’ll be having a couple of giveaways – one of which I guarantee you won’t want to miss!!  Stay tuned!

Comments

1. Have I ever told you I love you? Mmmmmmm, I love you :)

2. Looks like a winning recipe to me!

3. I know a good cookie when I see one and…..this one looks fabulous! Hope you had a great weekend girl!

4. How much salt do I add with the eggs and vanilla?

• doughmesstic says:

Thanks for pointing that out to me! I just adjusted the recipe to fix my typo. The salt is added only at the end, just before baking. The large crystals of fleur de sel or sea salt really bring out the flavor of your chocolate.

5. Mmmm, I love the sea salt topping! I’m a sucker for salty sweets. Chocolate chip cookies really never get old, do they?

6. The browned butter pushes these cookies over the top. I HAVE to try these.

7. Yum,Susan! I’ve been in a major ccc mood lately and need to get some made. These look great and I really love the salt on top!

8. I love the browned butter in these! Yum!!

9. Chewy and gooey? Girl! You’re speaking my language!!!

10. I made a gluten free version of these today. I used the dough in my chocolate chip cookie dough cupcakes and they were delicious!!!! :) Thanks for sharing.

11. Susan these sound super! I love the idea of the browned butter and the salt. I will be trying these soon.

12. This recipe fits all my requirements for a cookie recipe I absolutely have to make. Ingredients I love, a wonderful recommendation, and doesn’t require overnight refrigeration because I’m largely impatient. I can’t wait!

13. Looks SOOO good!! =) I’m hungry now and it’s almost 1 in the morning, lol

14. I have never heard of browned butter. I feel out of the loop!

15. Being new to the kitchen and especailly to baking, chocolate chip cookies will always be special to me. Growing up, I thought a home made cookie was adding an egg and cooking oil to a box of dry mix. In highschool, my best friend introduced me to the real chocolate chip cookie from scratch and many years later I still think of her when I make them. Honestly, I haven’t ventured far from the original recipe. One time my boyfriend and I were making them together and we put in “too much” flour. It was then I realized that things could be “mixed up”, so to speak, and still turn out good. I can’t wait to try this recipe AND try some new things with it too(like switching up the vanilla). Go cookie, go!! ;)

16. Oh wow those look good! I am intimidated by browning butter but might have to try it for these!!

17. ooooh these look sooooo good!

18. Ruth Ann says:

I am going to try these!!! They look so great!!!

19. I would love to try these! I’ve never been completely happy with chocolate chip cookie recipes. I don’t like them crunchy. I don’t like them cakey. They should be chewy. The most successful recipe I’ve tried is My Big, Fat Chocolate Chip Cookies by Tyler Florence of the Food Network. I’m ready to compare yours!

20. I’m going to have to try this recipe. I have been looking for the best ever chocolate chip recipe for years. I’ve never thought to use brown butter and the salt sprinkled on top sounds perfect.

21. Mmmmm those cookies look delicious! I love a good chocolate chip cookie with a bit of sea salt :)

22. These look great! I’ve been meaning to make chocolate chip cookies with browned butter for a while… Thanks for the reminder!

23. These look so good .I have never tried brown butter and I will copy this recipe and try them as I like chocolate chip cookies.

24. Schmidty says:

These look divine. I like the sea salt touch. And the peakedness tip. :)

25. These look great, I love that you use browned butter and dark brown sugar, these little changes make all the different when baking the perfect chocolate chip cookie

26. I am an expert chocolate chip cookie eater so I can’t wait to try these out.

27. This does look like the perfect cookie recipe. I have a long weekend coming up, I must get the ingredients and give these a try. You are right, everyone needs to have the perfect recipe for cookies in their arsenal. My sister has the perfect brownies, I must corner the “cookie market” for the family! Thanks for sharing this!

28. these look so good! definitely bookmarked them!!!

29. Maria Malaveci says:

I am printing this recipe right now! Sounds delicious. Love the sea salt sprinkled on top!

30. misti marlatt says:

those look delicious!!! and sea salt?? yum!!!! salted carmel mochas are my new obsession at starbucks! :)

31. i have a go to recipe as well, but these… oh man these make me want to try again ;)

32. Yummm!!! I definitely have a go to recipe as well.. Never ever had a complaint!! I’ll have to try yours out, they look DELISH!! :)

33. these look fantastic. I’ve yet to find a chocolate chip cookie recipe that works for me, so I’ll definitely be trying these out.

34. Michelle R says:

Thank you for clarifying what browned butter is I never knew! The chocolate chunks are to die for! I’d love to make these sometime thanks for sharing!

35. Wow! Cookies that is crispy in the outside but chewy in the inside. Yum! That is the best cookie ever. I can’t wait to try your recipe. I better buy the ingredient later. By the way I love the sea salt idea.

36. These look SOOO good!

37. vikki m. says:

Can’t wait to try these look awesome.

38. These look gorgeous Susan. Browned butter sure is awesome. Bookmarked and stumbled :)

39. Donna B. says:

I’ll have to give your recipe a try the next time I make cookies – I never thought to brown the butter first but it totally makes sense!

40. I’m always looking for different chocolate chip cookie recipes, can’t wait to try it.

41. This is so perfect! I love the extra large size of your cookies. LOL. I think I better make some of this before my kids go to school tomorrow. They will surely be surprise by these cookies.

42. shelly (cookies and cups) says:

I have never made choc chips with browned butter. There is no way this couldn’t be good!!

Trackbacks

1. [...] chocolate chip cookie dough cupcakes, so this was a great opportunity. I found a tasty looking recipe for chocolate chip cookies (that I made df/gf) and then used my go-to chocolate cupcake [...]

2. [...] I follow a blog called She’s Becoming Doughmesstic. I haven’t made many of her recipes, but a lot of them look really good. She’s the one who helped me make the leap to chocolate chip cookie freedom. [...]