Goat Cheese Stuffed Basil & Garlic Chicken

Believe me when I tell you this…no one is more surprised to see a goat cheese recipe on my site than I am.

No one.

In fact, the day I decided to come up with a goat cheese recipe for dinner – I doubted myself for hours.  You see, growing up, cheese came one of two ways…American and wrapped in plastic, or Velveeta, which came in Shells & Cheese.  Okay, sometimes shredded mozzarella, but that was for pizza, and we rarely if ever had homemade pizza.

So the idea of goat cheese is a foreign concept to me. I know, I shouldn’t be so timid, so,,, sheltered.  I’m getting there!  But I’ve come a long way foodwise, and by damn, I was making chicken stuffed with goat cheese.

gcchicken

I was encouraged in my quest by the wonderful PR gal at Chavrie, who was kind enough to send me vouchers to try their goat cheese.  So, while at Krogers on Saturday, I picked up a couple of packages – one regular, and one of the Basil and Roasted Garlic variety.  I thought the flavor combo sounded so great, and would pair nicely with the chicken I had planned.  I was right.

The dish is surprisingly simple to prepare, and an absolute treat to devour.  The tanginess of the cheese adds such a great flavor to the chicken, and the garlic keeps the whole thing uniform and delicious.  Even Seven enjoyed it, and that’s no joke!  One word of warning though – don’t eat the string.  The chicken is rolled up and tied with cooking twine, and once it’s coated in panko, the string may be a little difficult to see.  So remember it’s there, and don’t get all excited and eat it. I mean not that I know or anything, but it could happen.

It could.  It could happen to you.

And should it happen, just remember this: Like my elders always say – This too shall pass.  And it will. Again, not that I know.

Basil & Garlic Chicken Stuffed with Chavrie Goat Cheese

• 4 chicken breasts, boneless & skinless
  • 5.3 ounce pkg Chavrie Basil & Roasted Garlic Goat Cheese
  • 2 teaspoons granulated garlic
  • 1 teaspoon dried basil
  • salt & pepper to taste
  • 1 egg
  • 2 cups Panko Bread Crumbs
  • 4 tablespoons melted butter

Preheat oven to 375.

Filet the chicken breasts, then pound with meat mallet until roughly 1/4 inch thick. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, garlic, and basil.  Fill with Chavrie, and roll up.  Tie each piece of chicken with two pieces of cooking twine.

Scramble the egg in a wide bowl.  Dip each piece of prepared chicken in the egg, then dip into bowl of panko crumbs.  Press crumbs onto all sides of the chicken, and place in casserole pan.  Repeat with remaining chicken.  Pour melted butter over each piece of breaded chicken.  Bake at 375 for 30 minutes, or until chicken tests done.  Serve and enjoy!  We paired ours with rice, baby carrots and broccoli – but any pairing would be great! Au gratin potatoes, corn, green beans – anything would pair nicely with this friendly dish.

chavriechicken

Would you like to try Chavrie yourself?  Of course you would!  Lucky for you, I have some FREE Coupons, and a nice Chavrie Cookbook for one lucky winner.  It’s super easy to win, too.  Just leave me a comment here, letting me know one of two things…One – what’s your favorite goat cheese recipe (feel free to link to it!) or Two – Have you ever even tried goat cheese?

That’s it, no fussing around.  It would be GREAT though, if you’d follow Chavrie on Twitter and Facebook (and me too, me tooooo!) but, not required.  If you do decide to follow them either of the places, feel free to leave a second comment, and that will count as two entries to win.  No bonuses for following me this time, but do be warned – I tend to throw out bonus chances on Facebook especially. That’s a hint!

Contest is open to US shipping addresses only, and ends on April 10th at 11:59pm.  Good luck!

Comments

1. I love tomato & goat cheese pie–yummy! We have a goat farmer who sells several varieties of goat cheese flavors at our local farmer’s market & they also have “Meals at the Dairy” which are delicious.

2. I love goat cheese. My favorite way to eat it…slice up a baguette, chop some tomatoes, garlic, basil and olive oil. Spread a little cheese and top with tomato mixture. I could eat that all day, everyday. But alas I probably shouldn’t. Can’t wait to try this recipe!

3. I love stuffed chicken breasts but I need more info on goat cheese. I thought I would like it, I bought some at Sam’s club and it tasted awful. The taste reminded me of the smell when we brand calves- burned hair. Yuck, right. Maybe I got some bade goat cheese or maybe I don’t have a sophisticated palate?? What do you say?

4. Cheryl Kelley says:

That sounds great. I discovered goat cheese a few years ago. There is a farm in the town that my brother lives in and I usually buy it when I am there. I did buy some of the Chavrie Goat Cheese just yesterday and used it for dinner. Not a very sexy recipe, but I made a salad with grilled chicken, diced golden delicious apples, baby spinach, goat cheese, and balsamic vinegar! Yummy

5. Cheryl Kelley says:

Following them now on FB & Twitter. I love the Easter Bread Recipe!

6. “This too shall pass.” OMG too funny. I was dying when I read that. Anyways, I’m not a lover of goat cheese–too tangy for me I think. Who knows though, I’ve been known to change my mind. This recipe looks great though–maybe I’ll give it a try with a different cheese.

7. This looks awesome! I’m not big on chicken breast– too bland– but have stuffed it in the past and it always turns out well. This looks nice and melty and delicious!

8. I like throwing goat cheese into a salad… YUM!

9. My favorite goat cheese recipe is my Pecan-Crusted Chicken Stuffed with Goat Cheese (http://thepioneerwoman.com/tasty-kitchen/recipes/main-courses/pecan-crusted-chicken-stuffed-with-goat-cheese/), which is very similar to this recipe. I love goat cheese and keep it as a staple in my fridge! I crumble it on salads, or dip crackers in it for a great snack, or spread it on crostini with grapes.

10. Great flavors in this dish! Nicely done!

11. Goat cheese is my favorite cheese, hands down. Especially Chavrie varieties!

12. I’ve tried it… but never cooked with it. That will soon change! This recipe looks fabulous!

13. I absolutely love goat cheese, and I one of my favorite things to do with it is to put it on flat bread with caramelized onions, tomato and basil. When I was writing for Celebrate Green, I put the recipe up on their blog.

14. We love this sundried tomato and goat cheese and pasta recipe from Giada:

We make something with goat cheese at least once i week – love it!

15. Now this is my kind of chicken dinner! Gorgeous!

16. I don’t think I’ve tried goat cheese before. I’m trying to venture out into new cheeses, but am wary! So, I would love to try this one for free!
    Thanks!

17. Cristina B says:

I have tried goat cheese before and I absolutely love it! This chicken recipe looks fantastic!

18. Julie W. says:

I don’t think that I have tried goat cheese in a recipe – usually just with crackers..but I am totally going to try this recipe soon.

19. Caroline says:

I became obsessed with goat cheese when I discovered roasted beet salad with goat cheese last summer. I would love to try this recipe!!

20. Does the cookbook have more goat cheese recipes? I use it as a substitute for cream cheese on a bagel with smoked salmon and capers…ummm

21. I have tried goat cheese and it was definitely milder than I thought it would be!

22. Oh man, I LOVE goat cheese in polenta with a little thyme. It’s one of my favorite side dishes. I also love to just spread it on crackers. So tangy and delicious!

23. Kevin Schneider says:

The G/F loves goat cheese, so of course I’ve tried it. As for a recipe, well, I LOVE spinach and goat cheese as a combo. Try this spinach and goat cheese quiche: http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/spinach-and-goat-cheese-quiche

24. I adore goat cheese! My favorite way is in a sandwich– warm ciabatta, slathered with goat cheese, topped with a bit of arugula, chopped walnuts and a drizzle of honey. It is simply FANTASTIC. And such a great summer lunch with a cool glass of sauvignon blanc.

25. I adore the tang of goat cheese and can’t think of a better way to dress up a chicken breast.

26. Goat cheese is probably my favorite cheese.This chicken breast looks phenomenal!

27. Sounds delicious – I wish I had some for dinner tonight!

28. Delicious! I love goat cheese!

29. Allison Connor says:

I have had goat cheese many times, but more as a wine and cheese item…I look forward to trying this! Yummy!

30. I love it! Goat cheese crumbled over roasted veggies – yum!

31. I should cook with it more often, but I usually just eat it on salads.

32. In-Laws says:

What flavor of string would you recommend to go with this?

Trackbacks

1. [...] night was panko-crusted basil garlic chicken stuffed with goat cheese (similar to this recipe). Friday’s lunch was really yummy [...]