Pancake Soufflé with Caramel Syrup

by doughmesstic on April 28, 2011

in 1Featured Breakfast, 1Featured Slideshow Posts, breakfast

I really need to stop watching television.

Okay, who am I kidding?  Other than getting an eyeful of the Food Network for 13 minutes a week, about the most I see of food on TV is Boots eating bananas.  But, it just so happened that as Jon was flipping channels the other night, Guy Fieri was on, visiting some restaurant where the chef was making something she called a pancake soufflé.

pancake3

Pancake Soufflé.

Sounds fabulous, no? It was made in one pan, tall and gorgeous.  So tall and gorgeous, in fact, that I couldn’t bear not to try to recreate it.  I searched around online and found some starting points, but eventually made it my own and with delicious results.

I added strawberries to mine, but chocolate chips, bananas, cinnamon apples, any variety of berries – all of those would be fantastic.  Or, leave it plain – nothing wrong with that.  To make mine extra decadent, I added some sweetened whipped cream  and a ridiculous caramel syrup.

Sin.  Sin on a plate.  But oh my, is it sweeeet.

pancake4

Pancake Soufflépancake5

makes one 9 inch soufflé

• 2 egg yolks
  • 1/2 cup heavy cream
  • 1/4 cup flour
  • pinch of salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon yeast
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
  • 2 tablespoons melted butter
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
  • 2 tablespoons sugar
  • 3 egg whites
  • Fruit or other add in, if desired

Preheat broiler.

Beat egg yolks and cream.  Add in flour, salt and yeast and baking powder.  Stir easily, allow to sit for a moment.  Stir in vanilla and butter.

In a separate mixing bowl, whip egg whites and sugar to soft peaks.  Fold egg whites into the batter, being careful not to deflate.

Heat heavy pan with heatproof handle over medium heat.  Spray with cooking spray.  Pour batter in to hot pan.  Allow to cook for 3-5 minutes, or until bubbly around the edges.  Add fruit, if desired.  remove pan from heat and place under broiler until nice and browned.  Watch it closely.  Once browned, reduce oven heat to 350 and leave in oven until pancake appears done, about 5 minutes.

Remove from oven and un-pan the soufflé.  Serve with whipped cream and caramel syrup, if desired.

pacake2

Now, I know you are wanting the caramel syrup recipe.  I KNOW!  Luckily, it’s very easy.  And I will post it tomorrow!  You’ll get it in plenty of time to make and serve alongside your soufflé Saturday morning!, as long as you Stumble or share this post on your Facebook account.  I’m holding it hostage!  (Just kidding.  I wouldn’t hold something that delicious hostage.  But if you feel like sharing, of course, I’d love that!) And…you need to support my budding photographer – Seven, age 3, took this particular shot.  It was one of 8, but we settled on this one being his best effort.  Not bad if I do say so myself!

pancake1

Until then, have a wonderful Friday, get some sleep after a long night of watching the royal wedding, and think of me, trapped in the kitchen making wedding cakes!  Have a great day!

Miss in the Kitchen April 28, 2011 at 10:59 pm

Sin on a plate alright! That’s a sexy pan you are using too. I think Seven is a more advanced photographer than I am! Great recipe, can’t wait for the caramel sauce.

Lauren from Lauren's Latest April 28, 2011 at 11:12 pm

Oh wow. This looks so easy to do but still fancy and delicious! YUM.

Beth April 28, 2011 at 11:30 pm

Gorgeous. You have made my son a very happy boy.

Kristin April 29, 2011 at 12:54 am

Definitely a sin I’d be willing to explore. Sounds delish!

Erin April 29, 2011 at 7:44 am

I’ve never had a souffle but this looks like the way to go!

The Food Hound April 29, 2011 at 8:45 am

Oh my goodness. I agree- SIN on a plate! Hell surely awaits me, for I will make this!

Maria April 29, 2011 at 9:57 am

I wish I was eating this right now. Forget my cereal:)

Jenny Flake April 29, 2011 at 9:57 am

OH baby bring this on for breafast!!

Jenny Flake April 29, 2011 at 9:57 am

Ok, was too excited, meant breakfast!

Linda April 29, 2011 at 10:01 am

This is definitely going to be this Sunday’s breakfast. One question, though: how do you unpan the pancake? I’m thinking I invert it onto one plate and flip it back onto another so it’s upright, but won’t that totally collapse it? Is that what I’m seeing in the bottom-most photo?

If I lift it out of the pan with a spatula, would the structure fall apart? Do I cool it a few minutes in the pan to allow the structure to firm up a bit?

Okay, sorry. That was more than one question.

doughmesstic May 2, 2011 at 2:35 pm

Mine just slid right out of the pan. It IS puffy, but really didn’t deflate much. I imagine if you have trouble, the double plate flip flop method would be easy! Don’t allow it to cool – it is best piping hot!

Cookin' Canuck April 29, 2011 at 10:13 am

What a gorgeous breakfast dish, Susan. I would love to serve this to my family or guests.

Tracy April 29, 2011 at 10:20 am

Lovely breakfast! Yum!

Rachel @ Rachel's Recipe Reviews April 29, 2011 at 12:05 pm

Oh my goodness, this looks good! Your three year old is a better photographer than I am. Oh boy.

Autumn VanGunten April 29, 2011 at 10:05 pm

Tania shared your blog with her facebook friends and well, WOW! What a treat! Amazing photographs and wonderful blog. You have my vote and also my future check ins.

Linda April 23, 2012 at 8:54 pm

was soooo excited to find this … I have seen that episode with Guy on tripleD many times and wished for a recipe … will be trying this soon! This and some of your other recipes …. so glad to find this blog (through BellaNutella)
Aloha!

Veda June 15, 2012 at 4:42 pm

Thank you for posting this! We were watching that episode of Triple D a few weeks ago; when my husband saw that pancake I thought he was going to die right there. I was hoping to make it for him on Fathers Day but was sad to see the recipe wasn’t on foodnetwork.com. Yours looks great, and I’m looking forward to making it on Sunday!

Vanessa December 25, 2012 at 12:25 pm

I made this Christmas morning, absolutely delicious!!!!

scarlett August 7, 2013 at 10:25 am

I just happened to catch this episode on food network too. I’m not even sure where because I don’t even have cable. I’m so glad I came across this recipe! I made it this morning and it turned out great. Is there any way to keep the souflee from falling?

doughmesstic August 15, 2013 at 11:16 am

Sorry…but nope!

Lakwatsera October 29, 2013 at 1:52 pm

Hi, these really look awesome.
Do you think I can use ramekins?

doughmesstic October 31, 2013 at 8:51 pm

I’m honestly not sure. Maybe? I just don’t think it will puff and be quite as nice to look at, and as I didn’t experiment with ramekins, I’m not sure what the time would be. If you do it, come back here and let me know!