Gluten Free Marshmallow Smothered Brownies from Bob’s Red Mill

by doughmesstic on June 27, 2011

in 1Featured Brownies, brownies

I don’t have a problem with gluten.  At all.  So why Gluten Free Brownies?

Well, this year’s Big Summer Potluck, of which I am attending, is a gluten free event.  And well, it’s a potluck.  So, I am working with Bob’s Red Mill to provide something deliciously gluten free.  Thankfully, Bob’s sent me some of their mixes to get started with, to assist me in coming up with something “foodie worthy".”  This brownie recipe is my first attempt, and I have to say – man, it is good.

gfbrownies

I had Seven help me make this batch.  Like I said, it starts with a mix, and he does love helping, so this was a great chance to get him in the kitchen.  Now, he made it through the beginning, but once the brownies went in to the oven, that’s where he stopped.  The backyard was calling, and there was a swing set with his name all over it.  In fact, it wasn’t until the next day that he peered into the oven, wondering if the brownies were ready yet.

So maybe 3 isn’t quite old enough to bake alone… but we’re getting there.

Gluten Free Marshmallow Smothered Brownies

makes 20

• 1 package Bob’s Red Mill GF Brownie Mix
  • 3/4 cup browned butter
  • 3/4 cup warm water
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla
  • 1/3 cup milk chocolate chips
  • 2 cups marshmallow fluff

Preheat the oven to 350 and prepare an 9×9 baking pan with non-stick spray.  Set aside.

Combine the brownie mix with the browned butter, water, egg and vanilla, and mix until just combined.  Stir in the chocolate chips.  Bake for 25 minutes.  If brownies do not appear quite set, return to oven until the center is almost done.  Brownies will continue to cook in the pan.  (Mine took about 32 minutes total, as I used an 8×8 baking pan for thicker brownies.)

Top the hot brownies with the marshmallow fluff, and then place under a hot broiler for a few seconds, or, hit with a kitchen torch until browned.

Enjoy!

gfbrownie2

I hope everyone had a wonderful weekend…I know I sure did, and I can’t wait to share my amazing adventure to Iowa with you!  You’ll see that this week…  Also, I have a project commissioned by the fine folks at better Homes & Gardens to share, as well as a step by step on the most challenging wedding cake I’ve ever designed!  (I’ll be live blogging again on Thursday AND Friday…Stay tuned!)

Have a great week!

Shelley June 27, 2011 at 2:45 am

Seven is so cute!! :)

BethieofVA June 27, 2011 at 2:30 pm

Personally, I think Gluten Free Suck it Cheyenne Brownies is a MUCH better name. Fantastic and what a cutie pie.

sara June 27, 2011 at 2:40 pm

Seven is so cute! Diane wants to cook with him. She is 3.5 too. Here she is making lasagna

Emily June 27, 2011 at 4:18 pm

OMG! I love it! He did a great job! I am very impressed. I especially love his apron.

Jon June 27, 2011 at 5:33 pm

great job kit. he is all you… that day :)

Michele N June 27, 2011 at 5:38 pm

Very cute, he did a good job!

Tina June 28, 2011 at 7:06 pm

That was just about the cutest thing I’ve ever seen! I think you should have Seven do videos more often (if you can lure him away from that swing set)!

Evan Thomas July 13, 2011 at 4:16 pm

This is like a gluten-free dream. Brownies and marshmallows–it can’t get much better. Lovely photos, too!

Heidi @ Food Doodles July 13, 2011 at 7:09 pm

Oh my goodness, Seven is so cute! I love the video :D I totally want to do that with my son, he’s just a couple months older and that idea is soooo cute! I don’t have to be gluten free either but I’m always curious about gluten free baking :D The brownies look delicious!

doughmesstic July 13, 2011 at 11:04 pm

Thank you! Seven and I have made a few videos together. You should see the one where he asked to put DOUGHNUTS in the brownies when I asked what kind of nuts he thought we should use. Nice. You should make videos, too – they are fun for both of you!

sharon July 30, 2011 at 12:20 am

Sorry you had to make a troublesome gluten free recipe because Ahern is such a pain in the ass.