Cinnamon Roll Popovers

cinnamon-roll-popover-3

Did you get the update?

I’ve made it my 2012 Goal to introduce the Breakfast & Brunch eating crowd to the Popover.  I’m shocked at how few recipes are out there on the internet, and therefore, I intend to create a minimum of 52.

That’s right…a Popover a week for the entire length of 2012.  Check in every Thursday for the recipe of the week – that will give you all day Friday to gather the ingredients for the weekend feasting.

Popovers are like the heavenly cross between french toast (too messy to dredge) and pancakes (not eggy enough). Puffy and delicious, kids adore them and their magical rising qualities,  adults love them for their ease, the flavor, and their adaptability.

Let’s start with an amazing adaptation, shall we?

Cinnamon Roll Popovers.

cinnamon-roll-popover-1

Who here doesn’t love cinnamon rolls?  Pain in the butt to make, though, right?  They require forethought. Planning. Yeast.  But not Cinnamon Roll Popovers.  Nope, they can be whipped up in about 10 minutes, baked off, and eaten in no time flat.  Same buttery, brown sugary goodness, none of the hassle of waiting, kneading, rolling.

You’re gonna love me.

• 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon ginger
  • pinch nutmeg
  • pinch salt
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla
  • 3 Tablespoons Butter
  • 4 Tbsps Softened Butter (for the paste)
  • 3 Tbsps Brown Sugar (for the paste)
  • 2 teaspoons Cinnamon (for the paste)
  • Cream Cheese Glaze (to top)

Instructions

1. Divide the butter into the cups of your Pop Over Pan. (If you don’t own one, you can use a muffin tin, but you will need to use all 12 cups. Just divide the butter up evenly) Place the pan in the oven for 3-5 minutes at 375 degrees while you are making the batter.
  2. In medium bowl, beat the eggs with the milk, vanilla, spices and sugar, then whisk in the flour. Pour the batter into the butter filled cups.
  3. In separate bowl, combine the softened butter, sugar and cinnamon, making a paste. Place in piping bag or ziploc bag with snipped corner. Squeeze spirals of paste into each muffin tin.
  4. Return pan to oven for 5 minutes, then reduce the temperature to 350 and continue to bake for another 20 minutes.
  5. For the Cream Cheese Glaze: Soften about 4 tablespoons butter, 4 ounces of cream cheese, a tablespoon of milk and 3/4 to acup of powdered sugar. You can use an electric mixer if you want, or a strong whisk, or an egg beater works great. Just get it nice and creamy, then drizzle it on top of each plate of popovers. Enjoy!

Now, I have a growing list of Popover Inspirations on my kitchen message board, and those will keep my busy.  BUT – I want to hear from YOU.  What flavor pairings would you find appealing?  Think holidays. Think successful combinations.  Think outside of the box.  I need a challenge, and that’s what you are here for! Help me!

Just leave me a comment with suggestions…who knows, it may make my kitchen wall!

Until then, have a great rest of the week, and TRY THESE THIS WEEKEND!

You won’t be sorry.

Comments

1. You are totally right – I have never had a popover and have not seen many recipes for them to begin with. I thought they were just another term for a muffin until I actually looked into it more. They sound great!

2. My husband is going to thank you. I make homemade cinnamon rolls for Christmas, but he begs me to make them throughout the year. 35 minutes versus the 2 plus hours of waiting for the dough to rise, definitely making these this weekend. And best thing is I already have all the ingredients. Can’t wait to make these!

3. I am a fan of pumpkin. Pumpkin and maple maybe?

4. Oh dear LORD. These are waaaay too easy for me to make–and that is oh so dangerous. In the best way, of course. ;)

5. Popover school! Teach us to make popovers. As you can tell from twitter, we need a teacher to make us fearless in the face of unpopped…overs? Flopovers? You know, what we the inexperienced popover maker makes. Please do a post on the basics, Popover 101. I sit metaphorically at your feet (from the comfort of my couch) with bacon about to go on and wondering if I have a pan in which to pouf some popovers.

6. Aren’t popovers just wonderful?! And your recipe is no exception! I’ve never seen anything like these, I pinned this recipe and can’t wait to get them on my table!

7. Love the new look and the popovers-amazing!

8. I love popovers but have never thought to do this. Sounds and looks wonderful! Think I will be making these this weekend.

9. Oh you go girl…Mizz Pop Over Queen! Love the new blog look!!!

10. ohmygosh!!! you are trying to make me a fatty aren’t you?? ugh! these look amazing! i refuse to make these! *gets the mixing bowl out* nope not gonna do it! *turns the oven on* great, i can feel my waist expanding already!! ;)

11. Julie Stallsworth says:

How about a lemon and poppyseed popover. Your blog is a great idea and I will be watching. Good luck creating!

12. These look amazing and perfect and not complicated. And with plenty of frosting. Love.Them.

13. Elizbeth Conte-Vitullo says:

I have never had anything but plain, made with a roast popovers. I am eager to try thr Cinnamon Roll popovers this weekend. Along with my love of Cinnamon, popovers featuring chocolate chips or lemon would be sure to please!

• I made the blueberry oat meal recipe w/ chocolate chips, instead of blueberries. They fell to the bottom and stuck, making them very hard to remove. Any ideas on how to prevent that?

• doughmesstic says:

Chocolate chips will do that. Maybe try using the mini morsels, or chopping the regular chips a bit smaller. I don’t stir mine in to the batter, typiclaly either, just dump them on top before baking.

14. my boyfriend and i made the cinnamon roll popovers this morning and they were delicious!! we cheated and used canned cream cheese frosting because we didn’t have cream cheese on hand for the glaze but it turned out just as yummy. Can’t wait to try more of the popover recipes :)

• doughmesstic says:

It’s okay to cheat sometimes…thanks so much for letting me know you enjoyed them! Makes blogging worth it to hear back!

15. April Barker says:

I made these over the weekend in my cupcake tin and LOVED them! I was pleasantly surprised to see how similar the recipe was to my Dutch Baby recipe that I make on a regular basis. However, I found that my pop-overs fell quite a bit after I took them out of the pan. Any secrets to getting them to remain full size?

• doughmesstic says:

They don’t. Just the way it is. You can bake them longer, but then I don’t prefer the texture…they are so full of air that when you remove them, they do shrink. Still taste amazing! :) So glad you enjoyed them!

16. these look so good. i could totally eat like one (or 12) right now.

17. I’m anxious to try out all of your popover recipes!! I’ve made the original ones and added diced ham or bacon. I don’t make them as often as I’d like because the recipe I have requires almost an hour to bake~I really like the fact that yours only takes 1/2 hr.! Thanks to ZipList on FB that I found you!!

Thanks for sharing, from one VA SAHM to another! :)

• doughmesstic says:

Yay! I can’t do an hour. AN hour? No thanks. I hope you’ll give these a shot soon – we love them!

• You have just given me the idea to try a savory mixture. I will try bacon + cheddar. Till now I’ve just tried the oatmeal blueberry recipe (or variations on the blueberry part,) but I must try the recipe w/o the oatmeal to see if I love it as much. Though that recipe is a good way of getting oatmeal in your diet.

18. Loved them!!! I just made them yesterday and had to show tremendous restraint to not devour them all! But, I’m glad I didn’t and just finished a few for breakfast. YUM!! My recipe was from Emeril & calls for double the ingredients, making the same amt of popovers, thus the almost doubled cooking time. I’m so glad that I found you! :)

I can’t wait to see what your next popover is. I have loved popovers for so long & now you’ve inspired me to start experimenting. Happy cooking!

19. I think I can almost smell the cinnamon these look so good!!

20. Suzanne says:

I made these, but was so disappointed. I don’t know what I did wrong, but while baking the batter bubbled out all over the sides of the popover pan and made quite a mess. Also, every popover recipe I have has the oven set at a high heat 450 for 20 minutes, then turn down to 350 for another 30 minutes or so. What was left in the pan cooked, but they were way to soggy. I’ll try again, but maybe not fill the cups so much and use a muffin tin for the leftover.

• doughmesstic says:

Really? Wow. I have made these using this recipe at least a dozen times – in the full size popover, mini, and also muffin tins. I’ve never had anything like that happen. We made them at my sisters house using a completely different oven, too – so I am not sure what’s going on for you. Are you using AP flour? Are you beating the batter a lot, or no? Just trying to figure out what on earth is happening!

• Suzanne, for the last few years, I have put a baking sheet under my smaller pans to prevent the spill over problem. I also line my baking sheet w/ parchment paper(which can be used again, if nothing spills over,) or those silicon pads you can purchase + use over again forever.

21. Something summery with pineapple and coconut would be delicious!

22. I finally got around to making these yesterday. I made a double batch and they were wonderful. I did have a small problem- while these gems were baking we noticed smoke
    coming out of the oven and it seemed that the butter decided to make an exit onto the oven floor, to the extent that there was visible grease. I mourned the loss of butter (the smoke was somewhat nasty as well). I used popover pans and actually used a little less butter in each to start. Any ideas as to how to prevent butter loss? Or maybe less in the cinnamon paste. Thoughts are welcome. Otherwise, looking to make these again soon.

23. I’m so glad you’re making popovers. There really are such few recipes out there, and they’re usually all the savory kind! Thanks for expanding the amazing world of popovers. You rock!

24. Popovers are amazingly delicious, and so surprisingly easy and I’m shocked now that you don’t see more of them on brunch menus.

My husband and I did find that the cups needed more time to cook and needed to be filled only a 1/4th or 1/3rd of the way. Our first batches didn’t cook all of the way through, but were still delicious!!

Thanks for sharing!

25. Liliana says:

First, I want to congratulate you for your fantastic work. Then, I would like to ask you about this recipe that looks amazing; is there any baking powder in the batter?

Trackbacks

1. [...] I remembered, however, that I had seen Cinnamon Roll Popovers over at She’s Becoming Doughmesstic.  So I decided to combined the 2 [...]