Elvis Inspired Peanut Butter and Banana Popovers

by doughmesstic on January 12, 2012

in 1Featured Breakfast, breakfast, popovers

It would seem The King had a reputation for liking fried peanut butter and banana sandwiches.

Seems everyone knows this…why, I’m not sure.  Maybe we are all filled with some sort of trivial knowledge about Elvis.  Like, why do I know his birthday is in January? (It was this past Sunday, by the way.) Why do I know his middle name?  Why do I know he had a twin? Why have I seen so many of his movies?  Why on earth do I want to go to Graceland?

No matter.  Peanut butter and banana is a great combination, and if it took Elvis to make it famous, then so be it.

elvis-popovers-1

I turned it in to a popover.

If you are a fan of the sandwich, then you’ll adore the popover.  It has all the same flavors, but it’s allowed for breakfast, and you can douse it in more sugar in the form of maple or peanut butter syrup.  Go ahead and add whipped cream, of course, which is frowned upon when it comes to sandwiches.

So many rules.

If Elvis is reading this, I imagine he’ll find my house on Google Maps, or, the smell will lead him here.  Either way.

I may not have to go to Graceland after all.

elvis-popovers-3

• 2 tablespoons peanut butter
  • pinch salt
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla
  • 3 Tablespoons Butter
  • 1 banana, sliced

Instructions

1. Preheat oven to 375F. Divide the butter into the cups of your Pop Over Pan. (If you don’t own one, you can use a muffin tin, but you will need to use all 12 cups. Just divide the butter up evenly) Place the pan in the oven for 3-5 minutes while you are making the batter.
  2. In medium bowl, beat the eggs with the milk, vanilla, peanut butter, sugar and salt, then whisk in the flour. Pour the batter into the butter filled cups, then evenly add a few banana slices to each cup. Return to oven for 5 minutes, then reduce the temperature to 350 and continue to bake for another 20 minutes. Drizzle with peanut butter Syrup or your favorite syrup, and whipped cream. Serve and enjoy!

elvis-popovers-2

Until next time, folks, have a great day!

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar January 12, 2012 at 8:06 am

Oh my! These look heavenly!

doughmesstic January 12, 2012 at 6:04 pm

Thanks Katrina!

Erin January 12, 2012 at 8:50 am

It took me four years of living in Memphis to finally go to Graceland (it wasn’t cheap by grad student standards) and it was actually pretty neat. That’s when I discovered he had a twin too and was very shocked I had never known this fact, but when I saw the he died as a baby that made some sense. And I am sure Elvis would’ve loved these popovers. I still want to try your sandwich.

Jess Wakasugi {Life's Simple Measures} January 12, 2012 at 9:47 am

Elvis would be proud, these look and sound amazing! I’m absolutely loving all of the popovers you’re coming out with, I think I’ve pinned every one and this is no exception :)

doughmesstic January 12, 2012 at 6:04 pm

Sweeeeet, thanks! Don’t you just LOVE pinterest??

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga January 12, 2012 at 1:47 pm

You outdid yourself! They look so good and decadent! PB and Banana is such a fab combo!

doughmesstic January 12, 2012 at 6:03 pm

Thank you! I hope you’ll try it yourself and let me know how it turns out!

Cassie January 12, 2012 at 5:32 pm

I was hoping that this was going to be the Elvis burger, resembling the one from Hard Rock in Nashville. Tell me you are working on that?!?

doughmesstic January 12, 2012 at 6:02 pm

It’s on the list! I am dying to have that burger again, just to make sure I wasn’t crazy that night from Mad-Burger Disease! Are you heading to any conferences this year?

Cassie January 12, 2012 at 6:20 pm

Hopefully FBF in Orlando but not if flights don’t go down a bit. And I hope to go to Blogher Food but waiting on flights for that too. What about you?

doughmesstic January 12, 2012 at 10:12 pm

Definitely going to FBF and am sponsored for BHF. Can’t wait! I hope you get to go – keep me posted!

christina @ ovenadventures January 12, 2012 at 5:46 pm

ok. first popovers are crazy good. second banana and peanut butter is a fabulous combo. awesome! your are totally the popover queen!

doughmesstic January 12, 2012 at 6:02 pm

I’ve always wanted to be a Queen. I wish this particular title came with perks! :)

Karen Lynch January 12, 2012 at 10:57 pm

Hi I saw your blog today and the first thought I had, was yeah I love peanut butter and bananas together. Then I remembered the contest Jif is having.
I think you should enter these, the prize is a kitchen makeover.

Here is a link, the last day to enter is Jan. 18th.

Good luck if you enter

Karen Lynch

doughmesstic January 13, 2012 at 12:35 pm

Thanks so much! I just may enter!

Dana February 2, 2013 at 10:41 am

I’m making these right in (in a muffin pan, since I don’t own a popover pan) and was wondering why there was no leavening agent in them. I just pulled one out of the pan and this thing is DENSE. The flavor is ok, but I feel like if I let this come to room temp I could use it as a throwing weapon against intruders. I’ve seen pictures of these before and…aren’t they supposed to be super light and airy inside? I’m so confused.