Hershey’s Cream Cheese Swirl Brownies…and a Trip to Hershey!

by doughmesstic on July 10, 2012

in 1Featured Brownies, brownies, chocolate, Recipes, travel

hershey-brownie-1

A couple of weeks ago, I had the opportunity to visit Hershey, Pennsylvania.  For some reason, I’d just never been, despite hearing great things, despite loving theme parks, and despite my deep infatuation with, well, chocolate.  In anticipation of the trek, I made brownies.

Brownies with deep ribbons of cream cheese.

Brownies with a full on Hershey bar melted right on top.

I know you’re drooling now, so I won’t make it any worse on you.  Let’s just leave it at Holy Amazing.  Try them, and let me know what you think!

hershey-brownie-3

Hershey’s Cream Cheese Swirl Brownies…and a Trip to Hershey!

Rating: 51

• 1/3 cup sugar
  • pinch salt
  • 1 large egg
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla
  • Full Sized Hershey Bars, to top

Instructions

1. Preheat oven to 350. Prepare 8x8 baking pan with parchment paper long enough to hang over on two sides, making it easier to remove from pan once baked. Spray pan and paper.
  2. In small saucepot over medium heat, or in the microwave, melt chocolate and butter until smooth. Allow to cool slightly.
  3. In a separate bowl, beat eggs, vanilla with the sugar. Slowly add in chocolate mixture until well combined.
  4. In small bowl, sift together cocoa, salt and flour. Add mixture to rest of batter. Do not overmix.
  5. Pour batter into prepared baking pan.
  6. !For the Cream Cheese Swirl
  7. Beat ingredients together until smooth. Pour over brownie batter. Use sharp knife to swirl together.
  8. Bake 1 hour to 1 hour 10 minutes, or until just set and toothpick inserted comes out clean. Top with full sized hershey Bars and return to still warm (but off) oven until lightly melted. Allow to cool. Serve with vanilla ice cream, if desired. Enjoy!

So…Hershey.

It just so happens I managed to visit on the hottest day on the millenium, and lucky for me, HersheyPark is made of asphault. Plus, I had a four year old in tow, plus my sister, plus her three year old.  Yeah, there were more of us, but my sister and I were left to tend the little guys while the big guys all rode fun rides.  There were so many great looking coasters that I didn’t get to experience!  (Like Fahrenheit and Skyrush – wow!)

Photo1(9)

I did love that there were so many things for the little boys to ride, though.  And ride they did.  The Frontier Flyers. The Reese’s XTreme Cup Challenge (We loved the guns and all the shooting!).  The Scrambler. The Howler.  Bizzy Bees.  The Mini Pirate Ship. (Look at those faces!)

After a few hours, we’d had about all the heat we could take, so we headed over to the most incredible hotel ever – The Hotel Hershey.

Sweet Mother of Chocolate.

Absolutely gorgeous. Four Star, Four Diamond.  They gave me chocolate bars at check in…so I couldn’t have cared less how many diamonds they had after that.

The accommodations at At The Hotel Hershey, you’ll find luxurious accommodations to suit the most demanding tastes and the most important occasions.

I died on the mountain of pillows and soft duvets upon entering the room.  And there was more chocolate in the room.  There was even cocoa in some of the luxurious bath products!  I loved the color scheme of the hotel as much as anything – pale blues and teals with cream and brown – so elegant and tasteful.

Chocolatey.

Delicious.

But – not as delicious as some of the meals I had.  For dinner, we had Pork Belly at the Hershey Grill (I can’t even discuss it with you for fear I may go into DTs) and then lunch the following day at Harvest, located behind the Hotel Hershey. (Thanks to my friend Anna who heads up the PR for Hershey.)  The desserts here? Incredible little shot glasses of mixed candy awesomeness.

Of all the things we did though, I have to say my favorite was the Chocolate World.  Here we watched a fun 4D movie on Hershey – Seven loved it, and I did too), but the highlight of the day was making our own chocolate bars.  Aprons and hairnets led to personalized candy.  We could choose what we wanted IN our chocolate (I chose raspberry and nuts, Seven chose extra chocolate and sprinkles), and then we even got to design our box.  Such a cute and fun souvenier from the visit!

Photo1(10)Photo1(11)

I hope to return again when it’s cooler – I have so much more to eat!  Plus, those rides are still calling my name.

Have you been?  If not, you should!

(Take me with you. Please?)

Disclaimer: I was not compensated for my review of anything Hershey related, but was provided tickets to the parks and lodging.  All thoughts and opinions are 100% my own.

sara July 10, 2012 at 10:41 am

We visited Hershey last year and the chocolate bar making was the highlight for us too!! Love the recipe, will try it out soon.

DessertForTwo July 10, 2012 at 10:43 am

The melted top of these brownies is amazing! I’m drooling :)

Carol February 25, 2014 at 1:08 pm

WOW WOW WOW these look great. I can hardley wait to try them.

Tara @ Chip Chip Hooray July 10, 2012 at 10:49 am

I love Hershey Park!! Great review (and scrumptious brownies). You’ve got me itching to go back. :)

Vanessa Fletcher July 10, 2012 at 10:56 am

I want to make these brownies soon! What is the 3-ounces of chocolate chips equal to in cup-measurements? (Yeah, I’m that helpless in the kitchen!) My boys tend to prefer milk chocolate to the darker versions I love, so this should be a perfect recipe for them!

doughmesstic July 11, 2012 at 9:49 pm

Sorry Vanessa! 3 ounces is just about 1/2 a cup. These are sweet, so J & Luke should hopefully like them! (if not, feel free to make them out of dark or semi-sweet and eat them all yourself.)

Lauren July 10, 2012 at 11:08 am

I’m dying over all that melted chocolate!

Marianne July 10, 2012 at 1:15 pm

I am dying here! Doctor just put me on a diet, have to loose 20 lbs, not terribly bad but know I cannot indulge in this wonderful recipe. I WILL however save it so I can make it after the weight loss, hmmm would be a great way to celebrate??? Plus I’ll share it with my son, he and his roommates will love this!! Thank you for sharing.. I’ve never been to Penn but hope to go sometime in the near future, will keep this in mind, Chocolate World sounds awesome.. is it just for children and parents? I’m a kid at heart at 63.. LOL.

doughmesstic July 11, 2012 at 9:47 pm

Nope – not just for kids – it’s for everyone!! You should definitely give it a go. And good luck with that diet – ugh. The brownies are certainly a great way to celebrate!

Ali @ Gimme Some Oven July 10, 2012 at 5:52 pm

These look so cool!!! I love how the Hershey’s melted. :)

And I’ve always wanted to pay a visit there! Looks like you all had fun — great pictures!!

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar July 10, 2012 at 8:10 pm

These sound soooo freaking tasty!

bianca @ sweet dreaming July 10, 2012 at 8:25 pm

I love Hershey! Luckily I live pretty close by :) I am also kind of in love with your idea to melt the entire Hershey’s bar on top!

doughmesstic July 11, 2012 at 9:46 pm

Wish I could say I thought of that candy bar thing all by myself – but I had one somewhere ages ago…can’t recall where!

Miss @ Miss in the Kitchen July 10, 2012 at 9:39 pm

I’m dying for these brownies. I am pretty sure they would be the best I ever put in my mouth!

Paula - bell'alimento July 10, 2012 at 11:45 pm

I can’t wait to visit at the end of the month. Hopefully we won’t melt ; )

Myrna July 11, 2012 at 6:27 pm

I made these brownies today and only baked them for 45 minutes! Turned out terrific!!

doughmesstic July 11, 2012 at 9:45 pm

Great – so glad you liked them. I bake mine just a bit longer as I use a smaller pan, making them a little thicker. Thanks for sharing!!

Kristin July 11, 2012 at 7:58 pm

Omg those brownies look AMAZING!! And that hotel room is beautiful! I so wanna go there!!

doughmesstic July 11, 2012 at 9:44 pm

It’s an AMAZING hotel. I will definitely go back – I have to hit the Chocolate Spa!

Molly Jo July 12, 2012 at 8:53 pm

I am in Drool City with those photos of yours. It’s always been my dream to go to Hershey, PA. Now you’ve kicked that desire back into gear. I must-must-must experience this chocolate heaven on earth… thank you! ;)

Mary July 17, 2012 at 7:10 pm

I just found your website through pinterest! I am going to make these brownies to take to book club tomorrow night. Silly me I was wondering…how did she get the hershey logo stamped so perfectly into that chocolate? I have trolled your blog and am inspired to make some popovers. My daughter who is pregnant with our first grandchild is visiting in a few weeks and I think that cinnamon roll popovers are the perfect breakfast to serve to her! I have enjoyed my visit and am adding you to my favorites! I will become a daily stalker.By the way, we used to take our children to Hershey Park yearly on the way home from Scranton back to Indiana. The chocolate bar making must be new! What a great experience!

doughmesstic July 19, 2012 at 12:09 am

So glad you found me! (I have a fancy Hershey STAMP that I use on all my brownies. Ha!!) Enjoy that new grandbaby when the time comes – and yes – the cinnamon roll popovers are PERFECT for pregnant cravings! Have a great visit!

Joyce August 5, 2012 at 10:54 am

wondering what you mean by a full size chocolate bar

Angie August 6, 2012 at 10:02 am

Hi! Can you tell me this recipe for a 13×9 not 8×8. My family loves to eat a lot ;) please email me. Mecangie@yahoo.com

Jerrod Pickering August 7, 2012 at 8:24 pm

We are wondering the same thing about a 13 x 9 pan. Thanks

Cristina August 21, 2012 at 5:47 pm

Hello! I saw these on Pinterest and couldnt resist. Anyways, I had a few problems….1. the cream cheese mixture was liquid with small cream cheese balls. 2. after 45 minutes the brownie batter seemed cakey. so i tested it and took it out because the toothpick came out clean. now that ive tried it, it is very cakey (especially the cream cheese part). help. i think an 8 *8 cake pan is too small.

doughmesstic August 21, 2012 at 10:52 pm

Hmmm – not sure what may have happened to you! I’ve made these several times, and always in a 8×8, as I like a thicker brownie. As for the cream cheese being liquid – how did you let the cream cheese soften? You really need to beat it well. All ovens run a different temperature or may have hot spots, so checking early and often is important. I’ve never had a problem with this recipe at all, so I do hope you will give it another chance. And please don’t use anything low fat or diet – that won’t work! :)

Kimberly Griffith September 3, 2012 at 2:19 pm

I do not live far from Hershey and I am dying to give it a try! I LOVED these brownies!! Holy smokes! SOOOOOOO GOOD!! Thanks for sharing such a rich and tasty recipe!

Renee September 29, 2012 at 5:46 pm

I am so blessed to be able to live in the ” Sweetest Place On Earth”! Baking your brownies for my boys tonight! You can never have to much chocolate!! Come back soon for another visit. The park is wrapping up its season but our sweet little town still has much to offer!

Cathy November 12, 2012 at 10:20 pm

I made these yesterday and they were dry as a bone. I took them out of the oven at 45 minutes – a full 15 to 25 minutes sooner than the suggested time. I should have followed my instinct, knowing that even 45 minutes would be too long for moist brownies but I figured the cream cheese swirl required the longer backing time. Not. I made these for work and I was embarrassed to take them but committed to bring dessert for a co-worker’s baby shower and there was no time to run to the store for store bought. Sorry for the poor review, but readers need to know that even baking 45 minutes will not yield the moist looking brownie as pictured.

doughmesstic November 15, 2012 at 11:54 am

Thanks for the feedback! Of course, every oven is different, every baking pan is different. I only know that in my oven (with internal themometer) – this was the bake time for me. On more than one occasion. If by chance you used a slightly larger pan (even a 9 by 9 versus the 8 by 8, that will have a difference. I also recommend everyone use their gut – if something looks done – you, better than the oven, know. Thanks again.

Denise December 10, 2012 at 6:03 pm

I’m planing to make the cream cheese brownies tomorrow and was wondering if I could use box brownie and if so if you had any suggestions on adding to it?

doughmesstic December 10, 2012 at 8:45 pm

You can use a box. I prefer using melted butter versus oil in my brownies (if using a box) – and maybe a small splash of vanilla. Good luck!

Lyndsey Myers December 21, 2012 at 12:09 pm

I made these today. They are wonderful and super easy. Here’s my take on them: http://www.flickr.com/photos/33609245@N04/8294792418/in/photostream

Jayne January 8, 2013 at 4:05 am

Hi! I’m planning on making the cream cheese swirl brownies, they sound and look delicious. I was just wondering what kind of sugar will work best for this recipe.

doughmesstic January 8, 2013 at 7:02 pm

What KIND of sugar? Like, brand?

Nicole January 23, 2013 at 9:31 am

These look delicious!! They’re in the oven now and I can’t wait to try them! I was wondering if they need to be stored in the refrigerator? I’ve made other desserts with a similar cheesecake mix and they’ve always said to store in the fridge. I don’t want to ruin any of this deliciousness!! Thanks for the recipe!

Janet February 24, 2013 at 11:35 pm

I’ve never love you more than I do tonight.
I’ve never envied you more than I do tonight.

You are chocolate heaven!

xo

Angel February 25, 2013 at 1:21 am

this is the most amazing brownie i have ever had!
i only baked it for 50 mins in my oven and it turned out incredible.
my new favorite, GOD BLESS YOU for sharing ;D lol

Tara May 7, 2013 at 6:19 pm

To double it, do you think it would work in a 9×13? We are a family of eight and an 8×8 wouldn’t be big enough for us.

doughmesstic May 8, 2013 at 9:15 pm

Yes, it will work, but they will be a tad thicker, so just watch them in the oven…it will take a bit longer.

Megan June 6, 2013 at 8:47 am

These look divine! Just a quick question…did you use salted or unsalted butter?

doughmesstic June 10, 2013 at 1:02 pm

I use unsalted in my baking, unless I specify (or run out of unsalted!) Hope you enjoy!

Mary Lenti June 26, 2013 at 4:00 pm

These sound absolutely amazingly decadently delicious!! This site has many other great sounding recipes. A new favorite site to follow! The previous sentence is what I used when I pinned these awesome looking brownies! I can’t wait to try them and I really would like to visit Hershey, Penn. now as well!

Gillian November 11, 2013 at 5:25 pm

I don’t know what happened but my chocolate bars are kinda crumbly on top never really melte….?????

christy January 7, 2014 at 8:02 pm

I doubled the recipe and used a 13 x 9 glass dish. Should have baked them for maybe 40 minutes or so. I only baked for one hour and they burned. :( Will try again. They look so good!

Jen and Emily @ Layers of Happiness February 6, 2014 at 7:31 pm

Awwwhh man… that melty Hershey’s bar is making mouth water! Just pinned it :)