I travel a lot, as you know if you hang out around my blog very much.
I’m a great packer. I love airports. I know where the free wifi is, I know what seat I want on the plane. I know where to eat in all of my favorite cities…I know where to eat in cities I’ve never been to yet thanks to online friends. I love meandering around, shopping, eating, taking it all in.
I love to pass by a coffee shop on an overcast day, when the air outside is heavy and the smell of the freshly brewed coffee can’t seem to escape, and just lingers at the door. It’s so rich and powerful, so inviting. I just want to drink it all in.
Coffee is one of those things you just appreciate, whether you drink it or not. You know it the moment it hits your nose, you can feel the warmth.
Seattle’s Best Coffee is a new sponsor of mine, and I was thrilled to be contacted by them. In fact, I was so taken with the brand that I cohosted an incredibly vigorous Twitter Party for them on Tuesday, where we flooded the Twitter Stream with so many coffee lovers that it nearly blew my new iPhone up.
No joke. You people LOVE your coffee! I could barely keep up!
One major thing I took away from the party is that Seattle’s Best really stands behind their product. So much, in fact, that they want you to try it risk free. Buy it. Drink it. If you don’t love it, they’ll give you a full refund.
That’s how sure they are you’ll find it the best. A full refund. Whoa.
Another thing I found valuable? They have a hub where you can grab coupons, get recipes, and even get ideas for what to add to your coffee to perk it up and take it outside of the box. It’s a great website, and I recommend you check it out…you might learn something!
As for me, I love cooking with coffee. You can do so many things with it! You can brew it, then boil it down to thicken and add to chocolate desserts. Or, you can add it to ice creams. Or milkshakes. Or, you can keep it as grounds and make an incredible rub.
Rub for, oh, duck?
Yes. Yes, yes.
Now, I’m going to be up front with you and tell you my friend Mike Behmorias made this duck, and I snuck in to take the photos. I am not a cheater. Not a duck cheater.
It’s just that Mike is an amazing, trained, talented chef, and he does duck like it’s his job.
Yeah, okay, I guess it IS his job but you get my point.
So I asked Mike to create a recipe using the Seattle’s Best Coffee, you know, to challenge him a bit. He’s a sucker for me, you guys. He did it, and I didn’t even have to twist his arm too much.
Doesn’t it look incredible?
Let me tell you, it IS.
Full of flavor, the Seattle’s Best Coffee pairs so well with the richness of the duck and really adds an earthy, fierce deliciousness.
I do not kid. You will impress ANYONE with this recipe.
Just be sure to serve it with an after dinner cup of coffee. It will hit the spot!
Coffee Rubbed Duck Breast
makes 4 servings
- 4 - 6oz duck breasts
- 1 Tablespoon ground coffee (I used Seattle’s Best)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 Tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Combine all the spices together in a bowl and set aside.
- With a sharp knife, score the skin of the duck by cutting at an diagonal, but make sure not to cut too deeply. You only want to cut through the skin, not into the meat.
- Coat the meat side of the duck breast with the spice mixture.
- Place a medium pan over medium heat and add 1-2 tablespoons of vegetable oil. When the oil is hot, place the duck skin side down in the pan. Let cook for about 6-7 minutes, until it has a deep brown color. Remove the duck from the pan and drain the oil. Return the pan to the stove and heat over low heat and place the duck back in the pan skin side down for 6 more minutes to render out as much fat as possible. The skin should be very crispy.
- Raise the heat to medium and turn the breast over and cook for 2-3 minutes, until browned.
- At this point you can set the duck aside and let it rest, or place it in an 350 degree oven for 3-4 minutes more if you want it more done and then rest for 5 minutes.
- Once rested thinly slice the breast before serving.
More Fun from Seattle’s Best Coffee
As I said, Seattle’s Best has a great HUB where you can grab coupons, find recipes, and so much more. Go check it out!
Also, you do want to know where you can BUY Seattle’s Best, right? Well, I can deliver. Here’s their Store Locator. In fact, you know what? You should just follow them everywhere, and I am going to make it really easy on you:
More info on Seattle’s Best Coffee Website: http://www.seattlesbest.com/
- Seattle’s Best Coffee on Twitter: https://twitter.com/SeattlesBest
- Seattle’s Best Coffee on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SeattlesBestCoffee
- Seattle’s Best Coffee on Pinterest: http://www.pinterest.com/seattlesbest/
- Seattle’s Best Coffee on Instagram: http://instagram.com/seattlesbestcoffee
Even better? They are giving things away! Yes, really.
If you describe the taste of Seattle’s Best Coffee using the #GreatTaste & @Seattlesbest on your Instagram and Twitter accounts, you will be entered for a chance to win a vintage Seattle’s Best Coffee T-Shirt. You can also visit the Great Taste website https://bitly.com/great_taste to join the #GreatTaste discussion and for an additional chance to win!
Disclaimer: As I mentioned, this post was sponsored by Seattle’s Best Coffee. All thoughts and opinions are my own. The recipe? That’s Mike’s, but I totally stole it.