The smell of waffles is kind of unforgettable.
I will never forget my first trip to Europe, and my first true waffle experience. In Brussels, you walk down the bustling city streets, shopping as the snow falls over your eyelashes, and the smell of freshly baked waffles hits you before you even get within eyeshot. Sweet, crisp, maple laden goodness is about to knock you over in one bite. We had them twice a day, everyday, while in town, without fail.
They are that good.
I’ve not been back to Belgium in several years, but that vivid memory sticks with me to this day. Like I said…unforgettable.
So, when I was challenged by Glade® to make a recipe based on their new holiday scent Merry Maple Morning™ – part of their Limited Edition Winter Collection – I knew that waffles were the exact thing to make. There is no denying that overwhelming maple aroma in a plate full of Belgian Waffles.
I have other waffle recipes I like – even love – but this one, well, it’s my new favorite. The additional step of dividing the egg yolks and whites, and whipping those whites into a fluffy meringue creates a light and airy batter that’s hard to resist. Plus, there’s no wait, like with many other waffle recipes, and maybe even better, it’s laden with delightful orange zest, offering a truly citrusy holiday flavored waffle that is bound to create lasting memories of your own. It may not be Christmas in Belgium, but it will certainly be delicious.
Holiday Belgian Waffles
makes 4 large waffles
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 10-20 minutes
- 2/3 cups sugar
- Zest of 1/2 orange
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon Sea Salt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 large eggs, divided
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup melted butter
- Maple Syrup, as desired
- Preheat waffle iron according to manufacturer’s instructions.
- In a small bowl, combine the zest and the sugar with your fingers, working the zest into the sugar until it is aromatic. Add in the flour, salt and baking powder. Whisk to combine. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg yolks slightly, then add vanilla, milk, and melted butter.
- Combine the wet and dry ingredients. Do not over mix.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites to stiff peaks. Fold into the waffle batter.
- Spoon batter into waffle baker and follow manufacturer’s instructions. Serve hot with syrup and whipped cream, if desired.
P.S. To help get us all into the holiday spirit, Glade® has teamed with Jordin Sparks and The Young People’s Chorus of New York City® to debut an original new song called “This is My Wish”. Inspired by the best feelings of the holidays, “This is My Wish” is a simple, joyful reminder that peace is the greatest gift of all. On top of that, to honor the occasion Glade® is donating $150,000 to Toys for Tots™, which means 15,000 boys and girls will have something special in their stocking. Download the song for free here!
Disclaimer: This post was sponsored by Glade. All thoughts and opinions are my own.