Guess what this recipe is NOT?
Nope, not even a little.
Chocolate Covered Candied Bacon Caramels aren’t remotely healthy, but they are entirely delicious. soft. Creamy. Chewy and gooey and salty and sweet. They are the perfect holiday indulgence…or weekday treat. Or breakfast, because hello? Bacon? It counts. Whatever you wish, they are. They fit every bill.
If you are looking for something to take to a party, or to a potluck, or to hide in your closet and eat in private, this is it.
Chocolate Covered Candied Bacon Caramels.
Chocolate Covered Candied Bacon Caramels
- 12 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons bacon grease
- 3/4 cup Dixie Crystals light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup Dixie Crystals sugar
- 3/4 cup light corn syrup
- 2 tsp. sea salt
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- ¾ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- Candied Bacon pieces, to top, if desired
1. Prepare an 8×8 inch pan with parchment paper with the edges of the parchment hanging over two of the sides. This allows you to remove the caramels easily once cooled.
2. In a heavy bottomed pot, such as enameled cast iron, combine all caramel topping ingredients save for the extract. Bring to a boil and stir until sugars are dissolved and the mixture is well combined. Using a candy thermometer, watch for the goal of about 230 degrees. Allow to boil at this temp for several minutes, until it begins to climb over 235. Stir continuously. Remove from heat and stir in the extract. Allow to cool for a couple of minutes, then pour onto prepared parchment.
3. Once chilled, cut into pieces. Melt chocolate and shortening in microwave at 30 second intervals until melted and smooth. Dip caramels into melted chocolate and cool on parchment paper. Top with candied bacon crumbles, if desired.
Need more treats to inspire you?
Try one of these. Dixie Crystals has a website chock full of goodies, including these. Since I work for them, of course, I developed the recipes on a few…in case that sways you.
I know it does. I like that about you. I really do.