Last week I was lucky enough to be a part of the Iowa Corn Growers & Farmers Feed US CORNucopia Tour. You may have seen a few tweets here and there from me recently, questioning who eats what and why, mainly focusing on Grain Fed versus Grass Fed Beef. It was something we learned a bit about in Iowa, and I still have a lot of questions, a lot of research, and lot of pondering to do. So hang tight! One of the first things I intend to do is sample. I intend to do a sit down, cut for cut comparison of Grass Fed and Grain Fed beef. That way I can gauge tenderness, flavor, fat content…you name it. Side by side, bite for bite. From there, I will have to weigh the large scale (meaning commercial) feasibility of having grass fed be a more prominent type of cattle farming. It would mean a LOT of changes for the United States consumer…not the least of which will be cost. It would also quite drastically alter the face of farming, especially in the Midwest, or Cornbelt. Like I said – LOTS of things to weigh and measure. I just want to taste first. Because I like meat. And because I like to eat. Just because.
That being said, since I was in Iowa with the Corn Folks, I thought that I would focus today’s post on a lot of corn. Now, we didn’t actually tour Sweet Corn Farms – which are NOT the giant fields you see most of the time, those are Feed Corn Fields – but, I just don’t have any recipes calling for Feed Corn. Huh.
So, I decided that I would pull a few different recipes that use varieties of corn products. Full on CORN, Corn Syrup, Corn Meal, and Corn Starch. What an awesome plant, right? I mean, what kind of hushpuppies would we eat without cornmeal? My cheesecake would suck without cornstarch. And corn syrup? Well, my caramel recipe thrives on it. I hope you’ll take a look and find something you like.
- Jim Beam Bacon, Shrimp & Avocado Pockets (uses whole corn)
- Hushpuppies & Fresh Peach Butter (uses cornmeal)
- Sour Cherry & Cream Cheese Cobbler (uses cornstarch)
- Sea Salt Caramel Brownies (uses corn syrup)
Now, you may notice (Giganto HINT) that I have included my Jim Beam Bacon, Shrimp, and Avocado Pocket Recipe. That’s because I want your VOTE! Over on the right hand side of my page, there’s a HUGE picture of me and just below it, a green checkmark. If you click it, you are voting for me to win a very prestigious recipe competition! I am currently in the lead, but really? Every. Single. Vote. Counts. The people just behind me are putting up a big fight, and I need to stay on top of it! If I can hang on, I will not only be declared the winner (my first National Recipe Win!) BUT, I will also win a trip to The Rose Bowl. But more than that, I think I will win a little respect – from myself. I think maybe I am the one who gives myself the hardest time. Maybe.
Sorry – that went places I wasn’t expecting it to go.
Anyway…I’d love your vote. And, if you are so inclined, once you vote, you can click through to view the competition. There’s a place on there where you can easily share my recipe with your other friends via email, Facebook, or Twitter. Of course I would love for you to do that, but I understand that it involves like, seven more clicks. But I thought I would put it out there anyway. You know, just in case.
Moving on…I think you probably came here for the Giveaway of the Flip Video Ultra, didn’t you? It’s okay, I don’t care why you came, it means a lot just that you showed up at all. That’s fine. So let me tell you a little about the camera. I was lucky enough to be given one last week. That video of me poaching the egg yesterday? Totally filmed on it. I love it so much I thought I’d share, so I am buying one of YOU one of your own!! That’s a $149 gift, just for being my friend! (And it’s a very cool camera – take a look!)
Flip Video Ultra
- Easy-to-use, pocket-sized camcorder featuring one-touch recording and digital zoom
- Captures 120 minutes of full VGA-quality video on 4 GB of built-in memory; no tapes or additional memory cards required
- Convenient flip-out USB arm plugs directly into your computer to launch FlipShare software
- Built-in FlipShare software lets you easily email videos, edit individual clips, and upload video to sharing sites like YouTube and MySpace
- Large 2-inch color LCD screen to play back and delete videos
So now you want it.
To win, leave me a comment. Tell me which of the above recipes you think you’d most like. EASY.
For additional entries:
- Visit the Avocado contest I mentioned above and vote for someone. It would be great if you vote for me, but I won’t make you do that. Once you visit, just come back here and tell me who you voted for. Really, it doesn’t HAVE to be ME. Make sure that this is in a separate comment from the original entry.
- While you are on the Voting Site, share a recipe (again, doesn’t HAVE to be mine – with your followers on Facebook or Twitter, or email it to your friends. Again, return here and tell me you did that, and which recipe you shared. Seriously! The winner of the camera will be chosen at RANDOM. I won’t hate you. Promise.
- Tweet a link to this post, OR share it on your Facebook Wall. Come back here and tell me you did.
There you have it. FOUR ways to be entered to win this camera, and begin making your own movies. Movies that I can only hope will be better than mine.
Now the RULES:
Sorry, you must live in the United States, Hawaii and Alaska are fine, and at least 18 years old. Or have a parent that I can ship to, or a US address that I can ship to. I am keeping the comments HIDDEN for a reason. if you’ve entered a contest here before, you know why – I send out BONUS SECRET entries via Facebook and Twitter. Which simply means, if you aren’t a follower or fan, you SHOULD be. It’s easy to do – look at my sidebar. There’s a Facebook Link and a Twitter link sitting there at the ready. I’d love to have you!
Okay – that’s the scoop! Contest ends at 11:59pm EST on Monday, October 27th. See you then!
PS – There WILL be more posts about the CORNucopia Tour. I have lots to say! I did, however, include a picture up above of our group when we were at the Iowa Speedway. We got to race around the track in the Pace Car, at speeds well over 100 miles per hour! What a rush!