Does that sound odd?
Brown Butter Oatmeal and Chocolate Sunflower Seed Cookies?; Trust me, it may SOUND odd, but it’s really great!; Don’t let the idea of sunflower seeds and oatmeal sway you into believing that this is a healthy recipe – it so isn’t.; Sure, it does sound healthier, I guess.; But you know me – I love fat.; I’m good at fat.; I AM fat.; So, if I’m going to waste calories, it’s not going to be on a healthy cookie!
I loved the idea of using these multi colored chocolate covered sunflower seeds in a cookie, but knew I’d need to add more chocolate to bring the cookies up to acceptable fatness.; The colors are just too cute though!; Seven loved picking out the ones containing more pink than the others (yeah, I know.) and we gobbled up most of them the day they were made.; However, the ones that DID survive the night were just as chewy and delicious the next day.; Give them a try!
Brown Butter Oatmeal and Chocolate Sunflower Seed Cookies
Yield: 30 medium to large cookies
- 1/2 cup Browned Butter
- 3 ounces Softened Cream Cheese
- 2/3 cup Sugar
- 1/2 cup Light Brown Sugar
- 1/3 cup Dark Brown Sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 Tablespoon Vanilla
- 1 3/4 cup AP Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/2 cup Coach’s Oats*
- 1 cup Chocolate Chips
- 1/2 cup Chocolate Covered Sunflower Seeds
- Sea Salt, to top (I used Beanilla Vanilla Sea Salt)
- Preheat Oven to 325.; Prepare 2 baking sheets with parchment or SilPat. (I use SilPat)
- Combine browned butter, cream cheese and sugars in the bowl of a stand mixer and beat until smooth and creamy.; Add eggs and vanilla and beat until well combined.
- Stir in flour and baking soda on low speed until just combined.
- Stir in oats.
- Stir in chocolate chips and sunflower seeds until just mixed.
- Spoon batter onto prepared baking sheets.; Cookies do not have a tendency to spread.; Sprinkle with a bit of sea salt.; Bake 13-15 minutes, or until edges are lightly browned.; Serve and enjoy!
*I used Coach’s Oats, and this recipe was perfect for them.; If you opt to use Instant Oats, use 2 additional Tablespoons oats than called for.
Have; a great Monday everyone!