Does that sound odd?
Brown Butter Oatmeal and Chocolate Sunflower Seed Cookies? Trust me, it may SOUND odd, but it’s really great! Don’t let the idea of sunflower seeds and oatmeal sway you into believing that this is a healthy recipe – it so isn’t. Sure, it does sound healthier, I guess. But you know me – I love fat. I’m good at fat. I AM fat. So, if I’m going to waste calories, it’s not going to be on a healthy cookie!
I loved the idea of using these multi colored chocolate covered sunflower seeds in a cookie, but knew I’d need to add more chocolate to bring the cookies up to acceptable fatness. The colors are just too cute though! Seven loved picking out the ones containing more pink than the others (yeah, I know.) and we gobbled up most of them the day they were made. However, the ones that DID survive the night were just as chewy and delicious the next day. Give them a try!
Yield: 30 medium to large cookies
- 1/2 cup Browned Butter
- 3 ounces Softened Cream Cheese
- 2/3 cup Sugar
- 1/2 cup Light Brown Sugar
- 1/3 cup Dark Brown Sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 Tablespoon Vanilla
- 1 3/4 cup AP Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/2 cup Coach’s Oats*
- 1 cup Chocolate Chips
- 1/2 cup Chocolate Covered Sunflower Seeds
- Sea Salt, to top (I used Beanilla Vanilla Sea Salt)
- Preheat Oven to 325. Prepare 2 baking sheets with parchment or SilPat. (I use SilPat)
- Combine browned butter, cream cheese and sugars in the bowl of a stand mixer and beat until smooth and creamy. Add eggs and vanilla and beat until well combined.
- Stir in flour and baking soda on low speed until just combined.
- Stir in oats.
- Stir in chocolate chips and sunflower seeds until just mixed.
- Spoon batter onto prepared baking sheets. Cookies do not have a tendency to spread. Sprinkle with a bit of sea salt. Bake 13-15 minutes, or until edges are lightly browned. Serve and enjoy!
*I used Coach’s Oats, and this recipe was perfect for them. If you opt to use Instant Oats, use 2 additional Tablespoons oats than called for.
Have a great Monday everyone!