As much as I would like to be Italian, or live in Italy, unfortunately, that is not the case. My friend Paula used to live there, and hearing her spout off things in fluent Italian jibberish is downright heartbreaking.
Me? I can order a pizza, and ask for the bill in broken Italian.
I know how to ask where is the train station, and where is the bathroom, please. Very important things like that.
Ohhh, I can also say I can ride a horse, but that doesn’t really come up in Italian conversation as often as one may think. Nor can I actually ride a horse. But whatever, Judgey McJudgerpants.
Caprese. It basically means “From the Island of Capri”, in case you were wondering.
Caprese Salad is one of the simplest and most delicious Italian creations there is. A little mozzarella, some basil, and a red ripe tomato combined with a little balsamic or olive oil just screams fresh. So, why not turn it in to a savory popover for my popover project?
Gracious…why did it take me so long? It’s incredible. You can serve these as a bread or side dish with any pasta or meat dish, and your guests will love you for it.
Posso andare a cavallo.
(No, I can’t. Merde.)
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 33 minutes
Total Time: 38 minutes
Yield: 12 mini or 6 large popovers
3 tablespoons butter
4 large eggs
1 1/4 cup milk
1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
1 1/2 cups flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 medium red tomato, chopped
3 tablespoons (or more) fresh basil, chopped
1 cup fresh mozzarella, cubed
- Preheat oven to 375. Prepare a large, evenly prepare a 6 cup Popover Pan with the butter, or, a 12 cup Mini-Popover Pan. Place the pan in the oven for 3 minutes to melt the butter. Remove when melted. Spray each vessel with cooking spray to prevent any sticking.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs with the milk and olive oil. Add in the flour and salt, stir to combine. Fold in the basil and tomatoes. Pour batter evenly into the popover pans. (I poured mine almost to the top of each vessel.)
- Bake at 375 for 10 minutes, then reduce heat to 350. After 18 minutes at 350, remove from oven and quickly stuff cubes of mozzarella into each popover. Return to oven for 5 minutes, or until all are puffed and golden brown.
- Remove from oven, serve and enjoy!
- You may need THIS, however, should you venture across the pond to the Boot… It comes up often in conversations I have had.
No, non voglio il tuo lecca lecca.
Trust me. Important to know.
Have a great day everyone!