You didn’t read that wrong, and no, despite how oddball it sounds, I did not make a bizarre typing error. I really meant Chocolate and Potato Cream…served in martini glasses.
Yes, it’s a dessert.
And yes, it is made of potatoes.
Remember when I went to Idaho on with the Idaho Potato folks? Well, couple of things happened.
One – I made some great friends, including Don Odiorne, a VP from the Idaho Potato Commission. Don knows his stuff, including every single thing there is to know about potatoes. When I got home, Don hired me to deliver a few recipes to you all, and I am thrilled that he entrusted me to do that!
And two – we met some crazy characters, including a fun chef named Adam. Adam, sweet, innocent Adam, offered to take a photo of Paula, Meredith, and I, with the Jolly Green Giant. And he did. But he also took THIS little pretty…
Lol, imagine my surprise when going through photos to include in a potato post! Cute, and fun, but also a part of a team that made some things from potatoes one wouldn’t typically expect, like Potato Doughnuts. Which got me to thinking – why not make another dessert with potatoes?
So, here we are, with me offering you a Chocolate and Potato Cream dessert, just in time for St. Patrick’s Day. How much fun would these be at a themed party this weekend or next Monday? Served in a martini glass, they just scream Irish Party, so, give it a shot, and see what you think! It’s definitely different – rich, thick, and smooth…you won’t taste the potatoes, you’ll just enjoy the experience. Have fun with it!
Chocolate and Potato Cream Martinis
For the Potato Cream
- 3/4 Cup Mashed Potatoes
- 1 Cup Heavy Cream
- 1 Cup Milk
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon Nutmeg
- 2 1/2 teaspoons Gelatin
- 3 Tablespoons Water
For the Ganache
- 1 cup Semisweet Chocolate Chips
- 1/4 cup Heavy Cream
- 2 Tablespoons Butter, melted
- In a small pan, heat cream over low heat to a simmer. Remove from heat and stir in the chocolate. Add melted butter and mix well until the chocolate fully dissolves.
- Pour the ganache either in martini glasses, bowls or glass of your choice to make a bottom layer.
- Refrigerate until set. Keep aside the remaining ganache to pour on top of layer of potato cream.
For the potato cream:
- In a small bowl, sprinkle gelatin over the water and allow it to bloom.
- In a separate bowl, blend together the potatoes, cream, and milk to form a smooth paste. Transfer this mixture into a pan and warm over medium low heat.
- Add sugar, cinnamon,and nutmeg and mix well. Stir occasionally to avoid burning. Mixture will become slightly thick.
- Add cream and mix well, cooking until it starts to boil. Add gelatin and mix until dissolved well.
- Remove from heat. Pour on top of chocolate ganache and allow to cool. Alternate with more chocolate and the rest of the potato cream. Refrigerate until set, at least 3-4 hours.
- Serve chilled.
Disclaimer: This post was sponsored by the Idaho Potato Commission. All thoughts and opinions are my own.