As you may know, I work for a sugar company behind the scenes. The best sugar company, in my opinion – Dixie Crystals. Being from the South, I try to support the South, and Dixie Crystals is right there. Plus, they are so good to me. Who wouldn’t love that kind of setup?
Every month I develop a few recipes for them, and it’s always a lot of fun. It’s sugar, people! How bad could it be? So…last month, I had a request for a little booze.
Booze and sugar?
Oh, yes, let’s.
Since it’s football season, and I am a football nut, I immediately thought that going in the game day direction was the right thing to do.
Bourbon just screams football in my opinion.
Bacon goes with anything at all. Seriously…anything. I personally can not consume enough bacon, so…yeah. This drink had to happen.
Yes, it takes just a little time, but trust me, it’s worth it. make up a big batch and have it ready to go – there’s no point in going to all that trouble for just two, and you’ll kick yourself if you don’t.
Thank me later. And you will.
Candied Bacon and Bourbon “Pigskin Fizz”
- 6 – 6 inch slices uncooked bacon
- 3 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 3 ounces bourbon
- 1 tablespoon simple syrup
- 12 ounces ginger beer
- Preheat oven to 375. Line baking sheet with parchment paper. Line bacon on parchment and sprinkle with brown sugar and chili powder. Bake for 15 minutes, or until crispy. Remove from oven and allow to cool completely.
- Reserve 2 small pieces of bacon for garnish.
- In shaker, place 4 remaining bacon slices and bourbon. Shake vigorously. Allow to steep for 10 minutes. Add lemon juice and simple syrup and shake again.
- Fill two glasses with ice. Pour steeped bourbon over ice, top with ginger beer. Garnish with candied bacon. Serve immediately.
Note: Bacon can be candied in advance, and bourbon can be steeped in advance as well, as long as overnight. Add additional ingredients when ready to serve.
Need more sweet concoctions? Look here! (Seriously, look here. Just click through!)
Have a great week!