I know blogging is my job. Developing recipes…it’s what I do. Somedays, it’s a chore. An ACTUAL job. Yes, I can do it in my pajamas and an apron, but still, it’s a job.
And then there are days like this one, when I get to work with a company I already adore. A company that you jut can’t believe knows you exist, much less ants you to work for them.
Ask me, I will tell anyone. When it comes to baking or cooing with pumpkin, Libby’s is the ONLY pumpkin I will buy. I go for the puree, versus the pie filling, because I like making it my own. Plus, the puree is SO perfect for me already. It’s ready to use, and it’s PURE PUMPKIN. (Without the work!) Seriously…LIBBY’S® 100% Pure Pumpkin is exactly that — 100% Pure Pumpkin, which has no added salt, no added sugar, no flavorings or preservatives. Sure, you could make your own…in the FALL. But pumpkin is great year round…and THIS is the best way to get it.
Until I was hired on by Libby’s, I didn’t realize the many health benefits of pumpkin. I knew it tasted good. I knew I loved it in cake and cookies. But…it’s a SUPERFOOD. True story, news to me. But now YOU know. Just look at a few of the benefits:it is rich in vitamin A, an excellent source of the antioxidant beta-carotene, and a good source of fiber. We could all benefit from that..so why not?
Instead of taking my usual baking route, I wanted to use pumpkin in a dinner dish to share with you, to show how versatile it can be. So…I went risotto.
I love a rich, creamy risotto, and pumpkin just enriches that. It’s already creamy, and the flavor so light and dreamy, they pair perfectly. I added in sausage, but if you want to make it healthier, a lean burger or turkey burger would be ideal, and taste fantastic. Play around with it and make it your own, but this is a great jumping off point that I hope you will love!
Pumpkin and Sausage Sage Risotto
- 2 Quarts Chicken Stock
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 sweet onion, chopped
- 1/2 pound mild ground sausage
- 2 cups Arborio rice
- 8 fresh sage leaves, chiffonade
- 1/2 cup Libby’s Pumpkin Puree
- salt & pepper, to taste
- 1 cup grated Parmesan
- Bring chicken stock to a boil.
- In a separate heavy bottomed pot, sauté onions in the butter until translucent. Add in ground sausage and fry until no longer pink. Stir in half of the sage. Add in the rice and allow it to slightly brown, around two minutes.
- Begin adding the stock 2 cups at a time, stirring after each addition. As the rice absorbs the stock, continue to add another 2 cups until nearly all of the stock has been used and the risotto is very creamy. Stir in pumpkin and remaining sage. Taste quickly, and season as needed.
- Remove from heat and stir in the cheese. Serve immediately.
More on Libby’s 100% Pure Pumpkin
There are tons of recipes and ideas for you to try on PumpkinCan.com – go check it out!
·LIBBY’S® PUMPKIN SUBSTITUTION TIPS
- You can improve the nutrition of your cake or brownies by replacing the fat or oil with LIBBY’S® 100% Pure Pumpkin.
- When you replace a whole egg in many of your favorite recipes with 1/4 cup of LIBBY’S® Pumpkin, you can cut the calories, cholesterol and fat. See www.verybestbaking.com for recipe ideas.
- You can replace half the butter or margarine in your baking recipes with LIBBY’S® 100% Pure Pumpkin to cut the fat.
- Replace half of the creamy or crunchy peanut butter with LIBBY’S® 100% Pure Pumpkin and cut the fat in a PB&J sandwich
- Add 1/4 cup of LIBBY’S® 100% Pure Pumpkin into 3/4 cup of your favorite homemade or canned chili to cut the sodium per 1 cup serving.
LIBBY’S® PUMPKIN ADDITIONAL TIPS
- Add 2 tablespoons of LIBBY’S® 100% Pure Pumpkin to your 1/2 cup of quick oats for a delicious part of your breakfast that is a good source of dietary fiber and cholesterol-free!
- Add LIBBY’S® 100% Pure Pumpkin to your store-bought pancake mix for a hint of added flavor and moistness.
- Add 1 part LIBBY’S Pumpkin to 3 parts canned or jarred tomato sauce to reduce the sodium per serving. Also “A boost” implies at least “good source” not sure if a cup of Libby’s added to 3 cups of pasta sauce achieves at least 10% DV of vitamin A per serving.
- Stir 1/4 cup of LIBBY’S® 100% Pure Pumpkin into your 8-ounce mug of low-fat hot cocoa for a good boost of rich and delicious flavor.
- Add 1/4 cup of LIBBY’S® 100% Pure Pumpkin into 1 cup of store-bought hummus for a touch of color and added natural flavor.
- Add 1/2 cup of LIBBY’S® 100% Pure Pumpkin to the cooking water for every cup of your uncooked rice and create deliciously creamy risotto-like rice.
Disclaimer: I am a member of the Libby’s Pumpkin blogger team and help spread the word about its #PumpkinCan Campaign. As a team member, I receive product and incentives in exchange for participating in brand related activities and spreading the word about Libby’s #PumpkinCan Campaign. All thoughts and opinions are my own.