Sometimes, you just need starch. Cheesy, starchy goodness.
Failed a test?
Moved to Thailand and you only have one pan and need to grab all ingredients at an outdoor market?
Yeah…okay. You get my drift.
This Cheesy Potato Bake is full on comfort food. Full of flavor, just the right amount of eggs, buttery, peppery tastes in every bite? It’s hard not to love it. It’s also a snap to prepare, so plan on adding it to your weekend rotation of breakfast requests, as you’ll be getting them.
There’s a reason the Waffle House is packed at 2am, folks, and it’s not the stellar wait staff.
This casserole is like the epitome of hashbrowns that are smothered and covered and everything in between. Cut up a few ripe tomatoes and toss them on top? Oh my heavens.
You’ll never go back to Waffle House.
Cheesy Potato Breakfast Bake
- 1 pound Mild Italian Sausage, cooked
- 1 yellow onion, chopped, sauteed in sausage grease
- 7 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 20 ounce bag frozen Ore-Ida Diced Hash Browns
- 8 ounce brick of Mild Cheddar Cheese, grated
- Salt & Pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350. Spray medium casserole dish (we used 9 x 13) with non-stick spray. Set aside.
- Prepare sausage and onions.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all ingredients, including sausage and onions. Pour into prepared casserole dish. Reserve roughly one cup of the cheese for topping.
- Bake for 35 minutes. Remove from oven and top with reserved cheese. Return to oven for 8 minutes.
- Allow casserole to rest for 15-20 minutes. Serve and enjoy!
(Note – this is a reposting of this recipe from several years ago. It is far and away my most popular post on Doughmesstic, but I thought sharing it again to new readers was the right thing to do. Enjoy! And SHARE! Thanks!)