Cinco de Mayo…Tart Apple Pico de Gallo
So yesterday we jumped into the Cinco de Mayo festivities by offering up a sassy cocktail. Today? Let’s do a twist on a Mexican cuisine staple…Pico de Gallo.
Fresh and punchy, loaded up with cilantro. I love a great pico.
Sticking with the same southern theme as yesterday, I decided to switch things up and add a bit of the unexpected. Tart apples. I wasn’t sure how it would turn out, but whoa! So good! The crunch of the apples were just what wanted, and added such a great tang to the yellow tomatoes I used. Paired with tortillas, or added to tacos, fajitas, nachos? Right on the money.
It’s also perfect added to the Old El Paso frozen entrees Chicken Quesadillas I was sent to sample. I made a box of those last week, and wow – paired with the pico I was so pleased! A quick and easy fix…a couple minutes in the microwave followed by an optional sizzle on the stovetop…and I was well into a Cinco de Mayo worthy meal. Minutes? Yep. mere minutes. It was even faster than ordering take out!
Tart Apple Pico de Gallo
- 1 medium Vidalia Onion, diced
- 1 Granny Smith or other tart apple, diced
- 2 cups yellow cherry tomatoes, chopped
- juice of 1 lime
- pinch cayenne pepper, if desired
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl. Stir to combine. Allow to rest for 30 minutes so that all flavors can meld. Serve and enjoy!
Disclaimer: This post is sponsored by Old El Paso. All thoughts and opinions are my own.