Cheesy Potato Breakfast Casserole

Post image for Cheesy Potato Breakfast Casserole

by doughmesstic on December 29, 2012

in breakfast, Casseroles, cheese, Eggs, potatoes, Recipes

I don’t do casseroles.  Have you noticed?

Don’t ask me why…I do like to eat them. I just don’t MAKE them.

Why?

Beats me.  I’m a strange bird.

breakfast-casserole-2

For Christmas, Jon got a wild hair about him that he was going to make a turkey for lunch and a breakfast casserole for, um, breakfast.  So, I decided to let him.  Sharing my shiny KitchenAid range Gilda is a struggle, but, well, if a man wants to cook, who am I to stand in his way?

I stepped aside, and it was worth it.

His Breakfast Casserole was a hit at my family Christmas Breakfast, and with good reason.  It was cheesy, full of potatoes and tasty sausage, just enough egg, and buttery, peppery goodness.

It would be ideal for New Year’s Day, when you are looking for something easy yet comforting after that night of celebration.  There’s a reason the Waffle House is packed at 2am, folks, and it’s not the stellar wait staff.

This casserole is like the epitome of hashbrowns that are smothered and covered and everything in between.  Cut up a few ripe tomatoes and toss them on top?  Oh my heavens.

You’ll never go back to Waffle House.

Today, anyway.

breakfast-casserole-1

Cheesy Potato Breakfast Casserole

serves 12-15

• 1 pound Johnsonville Mild Italian Sausage, cooked
  • 1 yellow onion, chopped, sauteed in sausage grease
  • 7 eggs
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 20 ounce bag frozen Ore-Ida Diced Hash Browns
  • 8 ounce brick of Mild Cheddar Cheese, grated
  • Salt & Pepper, to taste

Instructions:

1. Preheat oven to 350.  Spray medium casserole dish (we used 9 x 13) with non-stick spray.  Set aside.
  2. Prepare sausage and onions.
  3. In a large mixing bowl, combine all ingredients, including sausage and onions.  Pour into prepared casserole dish.  Reserve roughly one cup of the cheese for topping.
  4. Bake for 35 minutes.  Remove from oven and top with reserved cheese.  Return to oven for 8 minutes.
  5. Allow casserole to rest for 15-20 minutes.  Serve and enjoy!

breakfast-casserole-4

Another reason this casserole is way better than Waffle House?  Our casserole contained no cigarette ashes.

Kidding!

We used Safest Choice Eggs.  That means our casserole was prepared with truly SAFE eggs.

I have recently become an ambassador for Safest Choice™, as a member of their Darling Dozen.  Their eggs are  pasteurized in the shell, before you ever get them!  They taste the same (they’re eggs, after all), no weird chemicals were added, and they are already SAFE to consume, even before cooking!  So…love cookie dough?  Love Caesar Salad?  These both include uncooked eggs. With Safest Choice, you’re good to go!

What is pasteurization?

Pasteurization is a century-old process that destroys pathogens through simple heat, and is well-
known for its role in making milk and juices safe to enjoy. To pasteurize a food means to destroy
harmful microorganisms (e.g., bacteria and viruses) by applying a precise amount of heat for a
specified period of time. This straightforward food safety technique was invented by French
chemist and microbiologist Louis Pasteur in 1864.

Pasteurization is an all natural process, in that it involves only heat (not chemicals or irradiation). Safest Choice eggs go through a series of warm water baths to eliminate bacteria. It’s that simple!

Visit www.SafeEggs.com/recipes/safest-choice-darling-dozen for more information on the Safest Choice Darling Dozen, or follow Safest Choice on Twitter and like us on Facebook.

About Davidson’s Safest Choice Eggs:

Davidson's Safest Choice EggsFounded in 2001, in Lansing, IL, National Pasteurized Eggs is a privately held company that launched the Davidson’s Safest Choice® brand pasteurized shell eggs in 2003. Safest Choice eggs can be found in over 5,000 grocery stores, in thousands of restaurants and through major foodservice distributors in all 50 states, Puerto Rico and Mexico. Safest Choice eggs provide consumers the highest combined standard for quality and safety in shell eggs and the Safest Choice patented, all natural, award-winning egg pasteurization process allows everyone to enjoy all recipes without the risk of Salmonella. For more information or to find a retailer, visit www.SafeEggs.com.

Disclaimer: I am an ambassador for Safest Choice Eggs, as part of the Darling Dozen.  This post is sponsored, but all thoughts and opinions are 100% my own.

Rachel @ Baked by Rachel December 30, 2012 at 3:14 pm

I would be so happy having this all by itself or as a side! Good call in sharing the kitchen :)

Katrina @ In Katrina's Kitchen December 31, 2012 at 10:09 am

I’m tucking myself inside that dish and eating my way out.

The Food Hound December 31, 2012 at 10:27 pm

That’s not even right! I have a breakfast bake that I heart heart heart, but it doesn’t have potatoes, so I feel like I need to try this one and bring it into the rotation. Looks SOOOO tasty!

Tim January 9, 2013 at 7:23 pm

Looks delish but did I miss the part about the potato?!?! how many are needed for this?

Tim January 9, 2013 at 7:27 pm

oops! never mind! hahhaha

Martha Walker Hutson January 16, 2013 at 7:14 pm

Looks and reads tasty, but I am addicted to Cabot’s sharpest cheddar, so I would have to use that.

Tara January 17, 2013 at 8:34 am

It says 8oz of cheese but then it says to hold back 1 cup for the top after baking. I would buy pre-shredded cheese myself. Would it be a total of 2 cups??

Nicole Jones February 10, 2013 at 8:33 am

8 ounces of cheese is 2 cups, it’s by weight. :)

Samantha January 18, 2013 at 5:02 pm

DO you scramble the eggs before adding the mixture together?

Ruthie January 19, 2013 at 10:02 am

Made this recipe this morning for a breakfast pot luck at our church. I did modify a bit by sautéing 1 diced onion and 1 8oz. Package of mushrooms in 1/2 stick butter, then adding 1 pound od diced ham and 1 can cream of mushroom soup to all of the original ingredients. I put the casserole together the day before and baked it up this morning. It DID require an additional 20 minutes, but let me just say, it was AMAZING! Can’t wait to make this with applewood bacon! Thanks for a great recipe and an enjoyable blog.

Cherie January 22, 2013 at 12:09 am

What should I do if I don’t want to use a frozen bag of potatoes?

Kat March 5, 2013 at 4:04 pm

Can you make the night before and let it sit?

tonya March 6, 2013 at 4:49 pm

do u cook the eggs first?

Maria March 17, 2013 at 1:47 pm

Can I make this the same with fresh potatoes?

doughmesstic March 17, 2013 at 7:55 pm

Yes, of course!

Jean March 29, 2013 at 5:34 pm

I’d like to know if this can be assembled the night before and cooked in the morning too!

doughmesstic March 29, 2013 at 8:32 pm

Yes, it can be!

Dayna March 31, 2013 at 5:50 pm

I tried this recipe today – I have a couple questions. I could only find a 28oz bag of diced hash browns – would you add an egg and/or milk? Also, I am wondering if you have advice on cooking this dish in the crockpot? We have our sons 1st Communion on Sunday and I am wanting to serve brunch.

Thank you for your help! :)

CindyN April 18, 2013 at 10:24 am

Do you think Jimmy Dean Sausage Crumbles would work for this dish? Thanks for a great-sounding recipe! Can’t wait to make it for company this weekend!

doughmesstic April 18, 2013 at 3:31 pm

Maybe? I don’t see why not. Just might not be as juicy.

nancy bowers April 19, 2013 at 11:40 pm

I would like the recipe so i could try it,

Katie H May 11, 2013 at 11:46 am

Do you bake it covered or uncovered? Thanks!

Shannel James May 21, 2013 at 9:30 am

Can I make this without eggs becasue I can’t eat eggs anymore. Is there a subsitute for the eggs?

doughmesstic May 23, 2013 at 4:50 pm

I guess – but I’ve not tried it.

crazedcook June 8, 2013 at 5:09 pm

Hello! Recipe looks awesome but I’m about to make it and wondering if I use regular potatoes instead of hash browns do I need to pre-cook them? Please let me know!

doughmesstic June 10, 2013 at 1:01 pm

I would par-boil them, yes. Just a little tho!

jitz July 1, 2013 at 9:45 pm

Bake covered or uncovered? Do I thaw the potatoes first or just mix with other ingredients frozen? Planning to serve for a large group this week with flour tortillas to make this breakfast taco style!

Bethany H July 10, 2013 at 3:09 pm

I have been a stellar waitress at Waffle House….otherwise, sounds like a pretty good recipe.

laura July 25, 2013 at 11:25 am

Do you think I could make it and freeze it? I want to take it to camp, heat it up and serve it.

what katie's baking August 20, 2013 at 5:11 pm

this looks SO good! yum! i think i might have to try it.
i made your s’mores macarons from your cookbook… omg. so freakin’ good! AND i was so proud of myself for actually being able to make a macaron, so thank you for instructions that i could actually follow without fault!

doughmesstic August 30, 2013 at 11:28 pm

This makes me insanely happy. I can’t even tell you! Thanks!

Christie August 21, 2013 at 10:45 am

Is the 1/2 cup of milk critical? Would I be able to add another egg in it’s place? I have a friend that has a dairy allergy. Thanks for any advice you might have!

doughmesstic August 30, 2013 at 11:28 pm

No, not critical. An extra egg would work for sure!

Camille September 30, 2013 at 1:50 am

Seriously . . . all I wanted was the recipe and I ended up with 8 pages. . . wasted my ink . . . recipe looks/sounds great and I will share with our recipe club++++, BUT some adjustments need to be made with this site . . .Please!

Mike February 28, 2014 at 5:03 pm

You have to do the old-fashioned cut and paste thing. I did that & it worked great.
a) Open your word processor (Word?)
b) Select the text on the recipe page by holding the mouse button and moving the mouse down until what you want is highlighted.
c) Press ctrl + C, or right-click and select “copy”
d) Move to your empty document, press ctrl + V, or right click and select “paste”.
e) clean it up, format it however you choose, and print it.
When I do this, I also save the document to a recipes folder I have created.

CM Rose September 30, 2013 at 4:10 pm

Why can’t I print this?

Ia Vang October 4, 2013 at 6:59 pm

I found this recipe yesterday and made it this morning. It was a hit and disappeared in less than 15 mins. I did do a bit of tweaking though. I used pre-cooked sausage links, microwaved then for a min to thaw, chopped then up, sautéed two cloves of minced garlic, added diced red onions, because I did not have any other kind of onion on hand ;) mixed the sausage in with the onions and garlic and cook til the sausage started to get a little crust forming. Microwaved some tater tots to thaw because once again I did not have diced hash browns, crumbled the tots into a large bowl, added the sausage mix, the eggs and cheese as in the original recipe. Once I poured the mixture into the pan, I wanted it to be more than just a potato dish so I whisked two eggs with a little bit of water and poured it on top. Cooked it according to the recipe, letting it rest and it turned out very well. A two year old picky water I know gobbled it up.

Gayle November 8, 2013 at 9:51 am

Can you you mix all together the day before?

maggie November 25, 2013 at 3:51 pm

Pasteurized eggs, seriously. You are cooking them first of all, not eating them raw.you are cooing the eggs to a temp that is higher than the pasteurized temp. Seems like quite an overkill. And these germs you speak of are in the whites not the yolk. So as long as you cook the whites entirely, you should be fine.

maggie November 25, 2013 at 3:53 pm

Actually you have more of a chance of getting some kind of illness from that on organic, gmo, cancer ingredient full johnsonville sausage than using unpasteurized eggs!

Susanne December 7, 2013 at 10:34 pm

I made this recipe with 1 pound of bacon pre cooked and it was awesome. I also made it with fresh per cooked diced potatoes’ YUMMY

Erica December 19, 2013 at 4:09 pm

This may be a dumb question, but do you thaw the hash browns or use them frozen?

Rachel @ Bakerita December 23, 2013 at 1:30 pm

This looks like the most wonderfully comforting thing ever. I could eat every hashbrown ever and still eat more, so this is SO right up my alley :)

Audrey February 12, 2014 at 8:09 pm

I have the same question, do you need to thaw the potatoes first??

doughmesstic February 17, 2014 at 11:56 pm

Nope, they will cook!

Tab February 20, 2014 at 11:02 pm

Do u need to cook eggs before ??

doughmesstic February 23, 2014 at 10:42 am

Nope!

Lisa February 22, 2014 at 9:03 am

Hi,

I would assume you could just sub the italian sausage for crumbled breakfast sausage, right?

Thanks,
Lisa

doughmesstic February 23, 2014 at 10:43 am

Sure you can!

katelyn March 15, 2014 at 11:13 pm

I am excited to try this! Do you need to cook the eggs before? If not can you scramble them and add to the mixture of everything? Can it be proud the night before?

doughmesstic March 15, 2014 at 11:16 pm

No, don’t cook the eggs, just scramble them and add to the mixture. Yes, you can prep the night before – it’s a simple and easy dish. :)

Pat March 23, 2014 at 1:20 pm

This a great dish to take tom potlucks

Bonnie April 3, 2014 at 3:52 pm

How can you combine the cheese with it and still reserve 8 oz of it when the recipe only asks for 8 oz ??

Debbie April 13, 2014 at 10:27 am

I made this this morning for breakfast. I used Bob Evans roll sausage and cooked onions with sausage. I cooked it about 45 minutes to insure potatoes were cooked and softened then added cheese on top and cooked 10 more minutes. OMG it was great! Tyvm for sharing this recipe!