Daring Bakers October challenge…macarons

by doughmesstic on October 27, 2009

in Daring Bakers, macarons

The 2009 October Daring Bakers’ challenge was brought to us by Ami S. She chose macarons from Claudia Fleming’s The Last Course: The Desserts of Gramercy Tavern as the challenge recipe.

Boy was I relieved to see macarons as our challenge this month! I really like making them, and though I have tried a few different recipes, I pretty much stick to the tried and true method I have been using since I found success.  If it weren’t for the brilliant instructions and advice of Helen, of Tartelette, I may still be stuck back at square one.  Helen has wonderful ideas and suggestions, and any time I need assistance, she’s always there…that helps so much.

For this months challenge, I made all chocolate shells, but filled them with 3 different fillings. Some were “snickery” – filled with homemade caramel, chopped peanuts, and chocolate ganache. So tasty! I love the peanuty flavor.  Some were Chocolate Mint – filled with chocolate ganache and chopped Junior Mint Candies.  Lastly, some were Almond Joy – filled with coconut, and coconut infused chocolate ganache.allmacs

Just for fun I made a montage of some of my previous Macaron Flavors…I love making them and see no signs of stopping.  In fact, I love making them so much that I have added them to my Etsy Store, and have sold several dozen in only a week.  Hooray!

I hope everyone has a great rest of the week…and stay tuned for my Wednesday post.  I have a great recipe and fantastic giveaway!!  See you tomorrow!

faithy, the amateur baker October 27, 2009 at 6:42 am

these macarons look yummy!! :) Love the pics!

natalia October 27, 2009 at 9:01 am

Ciao Susan !I knew you would be so good ! Mine were a disaster !! I would love to try them once with you !!

thereddeer October 27, 2009 at 11:42 am

Oh yummy – they look fantastic!

harskins October 27, 2009 at 12:59 pm

I volunteer to take all your extras of your hands whenever needed. Just let me know.

Nutmeg Nanny October 27, 2009 at 5:32 pm

Your macarons turned out beautifully! I love your snickery filling….yum:) I was excited this months challenge managed to work out for me. After last months failed challenge I wasn't sure I could handle another failure.

Deanna October 27, 2009 at 5:49 pm

I've seen a lot of frustration out there today with these macarons. It must be so great to know that you've mastered this baking art form that so many find so challenging. I haven't tried baking these yet but will someday soon and will definitely go to the tartelette recipe. Beautiful photos and creative filling ideas as well!

Engineer Baker October 27, 2009 at 6:03 pm

Oh I'm all about the snickery ones – I've made them, and they're awesome! Gorgeous macarons, and kudos on the Etsy success!

Valerie October 27, 2009 at 7:22 pm

All of them are so pretty! No wonder you've sold many so quickly. I wish I could taste them right now.

Karin October 27, 2009 at 10:01 pm

These look fab!! I hope you don't mind I linked your blog in my post…I had to show what Macarons should look like as I failed! lol.

Lauren October 27, 2009 at 11:55 pm

Simply gorgeous! Love the colours & flavours you made =D. Good luck with continued success in selling them!

KMDuff October 28, 2009 at 12:12 am

Yours are gorgeous and amazing looking! Yum! I want to eat one!

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction October 28, 2009 at 1:05 am

Your macs are gorgeous… You did a fantastic job.

If I had been smart, I would have gone to your Etsy shop and purchased some macarons to photograph instead of my hideous failures :)

Susan @ SGCC October 28, 2009 at 1:59 am

Beautiful job! All of your macs look fabulous!

Katrina October 28, 2009 at 3:39 am

I just had my first "real" macaron last month while in SF for the Food BlogHer conference. I LOVED it (chocolate hazelnut). Also got one while we were in Blacksburg a few weeks ago. De-lish! Yours all love fab.
Now I really want/need to try making them!

Sue Sparks October 28, 2009 at 7:10 pm

The picture of perfection and they sound SOOO good!!!

Nichol October 29, 2009 at 2:59 am

Ok first off I have to say congratulations. I have found you because I was reading my October November 2009 issue of Taste of Home and read your entire article on the back. You girls rock! What a great group of girls you are. So touching. Now those look delicious. Great photos. Now I'm craving one!

Tartelette October 29, 2009 at 11:48 pm

Wow! They all turned out fantastic! I want them all :)
Bravo for the Martha Show! I can't wait to see you compete!