15 Comments

1. ann marie whitten
    April 6, 2015 @ 8:22 am

This is amazing! I am making a birthday cake for my sister today and was searching for great decorating ideas…found it. Wish me luck! Did I miss the post of the actual recipe for the dark chocolate cake with a hint of hazelnut, chocolate ganache, strawberry whipped cream, and chocolate covered strawberries as a garnish?

2. ann marie whitten
    April 6, 2015 @ 2:24 pm

Hi There so I just tried it! In the fridge and the suspense is killing me. I buggered up a bit since the weight of the chocolate when I was wrapping the cake, bend over and smudged the whipped cream icing. Its ok though…I will see how it looks when it comes out of the fridge….I can either whip up a bit of cream to hide it…Or decorate with chocolate strawberries….my thoughts so far. I have a feeling I should have waited for the chocolate to set more?

3. ann marie whitten
    April 6, 2015 @ 4:22 pm

it worked it worked! I dont know how to post a picture but I am so excited!!!

• doughmesstic
      April 8, 2015 @ 11:37 am

Of COURSE it worked! Lol! I’m so glad you had success. Wasn’t it easy??

4. Lyse-Ann
    April 11, 2015 @ 10:12 am

Georgous!!! I love the effect, looks classy and chic!!! I wonder do if I can do it around a fondant cake? You think it would sticks to it? Thanks again for your tuto!

• doughmesstic
      April 27, 2015 @ 9:03 pm

I’m not sure about fondant…maybe? I do other things to fondant…so how about YOU let ME know? 🙂

5. Anna
    April 28, 2015 @ 11:52 am

Hi, I loved the tutorial and I plan to re-create it for a 3-tier cake – just wondered how much chocolate for the cage? Thanks!

• doughmesstic
      May 26, 2015 @ 10:56 pm

Geesh! It depends on the sizes of your layers. As you get going, just make more as you see the need. I think that’s the best course of action, and that’s what I would do!

6. Debra
    May 1, 2015 @ 10:20 am

Wow, this technique worked perfectly on my first go! Thank you too much for posting this!!!

• doughmesstic
      May 26, 2015 @ 10:54 pm

Wonderful! Thanks for letting me know!

7. Kate
    May 26, 2015 @ 12:27 pm

Does the cage get soft once placed on the cake and left at room temperature?

• doughmesstic
      May 26, 2015 @ 10:52 pm

Not really – it stays solid like chocolate chips do. if it’s hot though, expect it to get a little melty.

8. Liz
    June 5, 2015 @ 1:53 am

You are extravagant. Thank you for sharing your expertise. You’re also funny with your words which made it worth my while to read. Love to learn new techniques as I am also into cake decorating.

9. Shannon
    June 14, 2015 @ 5:18 pm

I want to try this cage for my mom’s birthday. I was reading the comments and I never saw a response how easily it is to cut through. Does the cage collapse when you cut it ?

• doughmesstic
      June 22, 2015 @ 10:52 am

Not exactly collapse…it is brittle, as it IS chocolate. If you use a HOT knife, it will slice. Typically, we don’t worry about it, and just break it into pieces as we cut it. tastes the same!