I get asked to develop recipes, pretty much every day. I know that shocks people that know me, er, well, knew me, as only five years ago, I could barely boil water. And now, I get paid to think up ways to prepare pie.
Or tarts, in this case. White Chocolate and Apple Tarts.
Musselmann’s reached out to me and a few friends to come up with some summery apple butter recipes, something great for a picnic, sent us their apple butter, and told us to play. So I did.
If you know me at all, you know I hate making crusts. I’m also not a huge fan of eating them, either, but mostly – I just don’t like making them. So for these tiny little apple tarts, I went the easy route – filo dough. I love the flaky, buttery goodness, I love how easy it is to work with, and most of all, I love that I am not making dough. I am terribly unmotivated sometimes… Don’t judge.
As if this “crust” isn’t easy enough, the filling is equally simple. A quick white chocolate ganache, a spoonful of Musselmann’s Apple Butter, and a scoop of brown sugary diced apples. May sound strange, but take a bite. You’ll change your mind, guaranteed…especially after you realize you made the whole thing in about 30 minutes, tops.
Gosh, I am lazy, aren’t I?
Well, you’ll appreciate it, as one day when you’re in a last minute pinch to make a dessert that will please a crowd and garner you some rave reviews for being so clever with your ingredients, THIS is the recipe you will turn to.
But you can go ahead and claim it as your own, if you want. I doubt I’d find out, unless of course you pop up in Saveur or Bon Appetit, in which case, I take the offer back. Thief.
First off though, you’ve got to make them the first time.
Tomorrow will do.
Let me know what you think of them!
White Chocolate and Apple Tarts
- 6 sheets thawed filo dough
- melted butter
- 3/4 cup Musselmann’s Apple Butter
- 1 tart apple, fine dice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup Dixie Crystals Brown Sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup white chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Prepare a mini muffin tin or mini tart pan with non-stick baking spray. Set aside.
- Place one sheet of filo on the counter, brush with melted butter and top with another sheet of filo. Repeat with more butter and another sheet of dough. Fold entire prepared dough sheets in half, and proceed to cut 6 rounds with a large biscuit cutter. Press each round into the prepared baking sheet. Repeat dough process with remaining 3 sheets.
- Bake for 14-17 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove from oven.
- To prepare the filling, heat apples, butter, sugar and spices in a skillet for 15 minutes over medium low heat. Stir occasionally to prevent burning. Remove from heat.
- In a separate small pan, heat heavy cream until just simmering. Remove from heat and immediately add white chocolate. Allow to melt for 1 minute, then stir to smooth consistency. Allow to cool for 5 minutes.
- Fill each tart shell with a spoonful of white chocolate ganache, a tablespoon of apple butter, and finally top with prepared cooked apples. If desired, garnish with white chocolate chips.
Want more Musselmann’s Apple Butter Recipes? Look no further! My friends are all posting their recipes today, too!