Game Day Cheeseburger Turnovers
Still looking for some delicious and easy recipes to pull together for this weekend’s big game? If you are like me…you probably are. I always have the best intentions of getting my act together, but then Sunday sneaks up on me and ordering a pizza just sounds simplest.
Let’s not do that again this year, shall we?
No, this year, let’s actually make something yummy that we can eat while watching all those commercials (the puppy and the horses video? Oh my goodness. Weeping over here.)
As part of the Krusteaz Baker’s Dozen, I decided to share one of our recipes with you. It starts with a Krusteaz Flatbread Mix (Available in Whole Wheat, Italian Herb and Garlic & Onion flavors) and gets turned into Cheeseburger Turnovers.
I know, right? Yum.
Here’s that recipe for you!
Game Day Cheeseburger Turnovers
- 1 package Krusteaz Garlic and Onion Flatbread Mix
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1-1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese + extra for sprinkling
- pickle chips
- milk or egg wash
- Preheat oven to 475°F.
- Prepare Krusteaz Garlic and Onion Flatbread Mix according to package directions, and let dough rise for 20 minutes.
- While dough is rising, heat 1 teaspoon oil over medium-high heat in a large skillet. Add the onions and garlic, stirring occasionally for 3-4 minutes or until onions are soft. Add the ground beef to the skillet, using a wooden spoon to break up the meat until well browned and crumbled. Drain the excess liquid from the pan. Stir in the seasoning salt, ketchup, and cheese. Set mixture aside to cool.
- Pat the flatbread dough out on a well-floured cutting board. If desired, use a rolling pin to help level the dough. Cut circles of dough out with the 4” cookie cutter.
- Spoon about a tablespoon of the cheeseburger mixture onto each circle of dough, then set a pickle chip on top of the mixture. Fold one side of the dough over the filling to create a half-circle shape. Press and flute the dough edges together to seal. Brush each turnover with milk or egg wash, then sprinkle lightly with extra cheddar.
- Bake the turnovers 10-12 minutes, or until edges are golden brown.
More Krusteaz Flatbread Big Game Recipes
· Tasty Turnovers, Dips & More: Before the turnovers start on the field, party hosts can whet fans’ appetites with their own Game Day Cheeseburger Turnovers or Fiery Bruschetta Bites. Both are fan favorites. Krusteaz’s White Bean & Parsley, Hot Reuben or Hot Caesar dips are best served with their warm flatbreads.
· Forget Pizza Delivery. Make Flatbreads! While pizza makers huddle in preparation of the year’s biggest pizza delivery day, fans can create delicious flatbread pizzas right at home. Recipes like Krusteaz’s Grilled Flatbread Pepperoni Pizza and light recipes like the Little Guilt Grilled Flatbread and Thai Chicken Flatbread with Homemade Light Peanut Sauce showcase simple ingredients that will be winners with fans of all ages.
· A Savory Main Spread: For heartier fare, fans can kick off the main meal with Krusteaz’s Classic Cuban Focaccia Sandwiches, Family-Friendly Flatbread Tacos or Meatball Calzones.
Disclaimer: I am a Krusteaz Ambassador. All thoughts and opinions are my own.