Chicken and Waffles with Strawberries and Rosemary
Chicken and Waffles with Strawberries? I am a chicken and waffles freak. Seriously…I can’t take it. If I see it on a menu, it’s mine. I’ve had just about every variety – many of which were in Las Vegas – and every version excites me.
For this recipe I created for Krusteaz, I combined a couple of my favorite chicken and waffle versions.
Last year, with my girlfriends, I sampled a plate that served my chicken and waffles with a strawberry compote versus the typical maple syrup. I was surprised that I loved it like I did, as I really enjoy the maple flavor. In Seattle, the city where I first met the Krusteaz Baker’s Dozen, I had a more savory version, with rosemary and thyme in the waffles. Again – score. It was great! So, when my friends at Krusteaz asked me to create a “Breakfast for Dinner” recipe, I knew exactly what to do.
I combined them.
I added rosemary and chopped strawberries to the waffle batter, and topped them with even more berries and syrup. The best of both worlds! The sweet plays so well with the rosemary, and really takes this simple to prepare dish over the top. it would be excellent for dinner, or lunch, or breakfast…so give it a try and see what you think!
Strawberry and Rosemary Chicken and Waffles
- 2 cups Krusteaz Buttermilk Pancake Mix
- 1 1/4 cups cold water
- large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 3/4 cup chopped strawberries
- 3 tablespoons fresh rosemary
- 12 fried chicken strips
- Blend together mix, cups cold water, egg, vanilla, and tablespoons melted butter. Batter will be slightly lumpy. Stir in chopped strawberries and rosemary. (Do not overmix.)
- Pour the batter onto lightly greased and preheated waffle iron.
- Cook the waffles until steaming stops, about 3-5 minutes, or until golden brown. Serve with fried chicken pieces, syrup and fresh berries, if desired.
Disclaimer: I am an ambassador for Krusteaz. All thoughts and opinions are my own.