Okay, I know.
Believe me…I KNOW.
Cookie dough. Good. Very good.
Oreos. Of course they are good. Double Stuff? Even better.
Deep fried anything? Sign me up.
But Deep Fried Cookie Dough, mounded onto a Double Stuffed Oreo?
A couple of weeks ago, I flew off to Houston with some of my girlfriends, and together, we made our rounds at Rodeo Houston. For those of you from the sticks like me, Rodeo Houston may as well be the State Fair in just about any other state…it’s huge. Like, 3 weeks long, full of rides and shopping and top notch entertainment…and ridiculous food.
Before I ever stepped foot out of Virginia, I had a plan:
Eat one of every single thing that was deep fried at the rodeo.
I even Googled it. I knew what to expect. I had a GRAND PLAN. I allotted $75 for such an adventure, and I was happy to spend it.
I made it to two things. Two about killed me, and even TWO was a stretch. A bite and a half of deep fried strawberry shortcake was enough…but I did manage almost an entire Deep Fried Cookie Dough Topped Oreo. The order came with THREE. Who on the planet could consume three of these things is beyond me, but, apparently 3 is the magic number in Texas.
Good thing I had my girls in tow.
Once I got home, I knew I had to recreate this nonsense for myself, and so, despite my diet, despite my old skinny jeans now hanging off my butt, I went ahead and made them.
I ate a couple of bites. The boys of the house ate the rest. Thank goodness. I was worried those old jeans may fit again if any of these things stayed around the kitchen too long.
So – would I recommend them to you?
Of course I would! In fact, I made them on my most recent segment of Daytime Blue Ridge with Tiffany and Natalie – who raved. We had so much fun making them on the air! So, grab the fam, or some friends, and have a little deep frying party. Let the kids help with the smooshing of the cookie dough onto the Oreos. Let the men do the dunking into the batter…and ladies, well, you watch the oil and make sure not to over cook. And be sure to add lots of powdered sugar at the end…YUM! Enjoy!
Deep Fried Cookie Dough Topped Oreos
- 1 ½ cup All Purpose Flour
- 1 tablespoon Baking Powder
- Pinch salt
- 2 Tablespoons Sugar
- 1 ¼ cups milk
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- 1/2-3/4 cups water, as needed
- 1 package refrigerated cookie dough
- 10 Oreo Cookies
- Oil, for frying
- Powdered sugar, if desired
- In a deep fryer or medium sized heavy bottomed pan, bring cooking oil to 350.
- Combine dry ingredients in a medium sized bowl. Whisk in wet ingredients all at once, save for the water. Little by little, add water until the batter is the consistency of thick pancake batter.
- Scoop cookie dough onto the top of an Oreos, pressing into a mound with your palms. Dip in batter, and place into hot oil. Fry until golden brown, turning as needed. Dust with powdered sugar, if desired. Serve hot.
Want to see me make them LIVE on the Air? You can! I made them recently on NBC’s WSLS Daytime Blue Ridge, where I have a pretty regular stint doing cooking segments. It’s a fun atmosphere, and I’ve made great friends there…so take a peek – we had fun with that one!