Hello, I’m Christine and I’m delighted to be guest posting for Susan today. Thanks for having me!
I blog over at Cook the Story where I share recipes that fit life. These are recipes for quick weeknight dinners, side dishes and fast ideas for entertaining. Today I’m telling you about my newest quick dinner that also works at a barbecue: Sausage and Apple Kebabs! Oh, and do scroll down to see more tasty apple recipes and to enter today’s giveaway for a big box of Envy Apples and a $150 Visa Gift Card, all sponsored by Envy Apples.
Did you know that you can make kebabs with sausage? Maybe you did (aren’t you smart!). But I discovered it on Pinterest very recently when I was adding kebab recipe ideas to my Skewers Board. I think these are brilliant because the sausage is fully cooked (think kielbasa and wieners). That means you’re not dealing with raw meat, which is perfect for a party or get together. Everything is cooked and edible. Your only job is to warm it up (and maybe get some grill marks going). I’ve mentioned the brilliance of not dealing with raw meat at a barbecue before when I shared this Make-Ahead Ribs recipe. It just plain makes life easier. And I like that. These kebabs use Chicken & Apple Sausages (I found them in the organic lunchmeat section of my grocery store, near the organic weiners), sweet Vidalia onions and juicy crunchy wedges of Envy Apples. The Envy Apples are perfect for grilling because they don’t brown when cooked, or even after being cut like most apples do. Instead they stay white for a long time. I even cut them in the evening and pack them in my kids’ lunches. No lemon juice or anything and they stay nice until lunchtime. Before grilling, the kebabs are doused in a honey and grainy mustard mixture. The mustard is of course great with sausages but it also does good things to the apples and onions. I know you’re going to love how quick and easy these kebabs are and how tasty they are. In addition to this delicious recipe, today I’m bringing you Envy Apple Recipes from some of my favorite bloggers, check out the delicious links below. And there’s also a giveaway for a nice big box of Envy apples delivered right to your door and a $150 visa gift card. How sweet is that?
Apple , Sausage and Onion Kebabs
Prep Time: 20 minutes, Cook Time: 10 minutes
- ⅓ cup grainy mustard
- ¼ cup honey
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1 medium Vidalia onion, cut into 8 wedges
- 8-6″ skewers
- 12 oz fully-cooked sweet apple and chicken sausages, cut into 16 pieces
- 2 envy apples, cut into 8 wedges each
1. Preheat grill for direct cooking over medium heat.
2. In a small bowl combine the mustard, honey, lemon juice, and salt.
3. Divide the layers of each onion wedge so that you have two pieces.
4. Onto a skewer thread a piece of sausage, then an apple wedge, onion piece, sausage, apple onion. Put it into a 9″x11″ pan. Repeat with remaining skewers and ingredients.
5. Pour mustard sauce over skewers.
6. Put skewers on grill. Grill on one side until undersides of sausages are blackened in spots and apples have some grill marks, 3-5 minutes. Flip and grill until undersides are browned as well, another 3-5 minutes.
During the summer in the U.S., pears and apples abound in New Zealand. When you see New Zealand pears and apples in the stores they’re super-fresh and ready to eat. That’s why we’ve teamed up to come up with a bunch of delicious summer recipes featuring New Zealand pears and apples. Today, we’re focusing on recipes using Envy Apples. Check them all out below. And follow along all summer on social media using #loveNZfruit.
More Summer Envy Apple Recipes:
- Grilled Pizza with Apple and Sausage from Cook the Story
- Easy Recipe for Apple Pie Ice Cream Bowls from It’s Yummi!
- Summer Salad with Roasted Envy Apple Vinaigrette from Pastry Chef Online
- Grilled Apple Turkey Burgers from Cooking with Books
- Apple Pie Milkshake from Big Bear’s Wife
- Apple Pie Ice Cream Sandwiches from Around My Family Table
- Apple Pie Bites with Caramel Dipping Sauce from Real Housemoms
- Apple Trifle with Bourbon Whipped Cream + Caramel Drizzle from Climbing Grier Mountain
- Double Berry Apple Crisp from Nutmeg Nanny
Fill out the form below to enter to win the big box of Envy Apples and the $150 Visa Gift Card. Every entry also enters you to win our #loveNZfruit summer grand prize (drawn in August) of a Vitamix Blender and $100 Whole Foods Gift Card.
Disclosure: This blog post is sponsored by Envy Apples. They have compensated me for my time and they provided me with apples for recipe development. They also provided the giveaway items. All opinions are my own.