9 Comments

1. Jane, The Heritage Cook
    October 26, 2016 @ 7:52 pm

I am crying with you Susan. Your words brought back all the emotions I felt when I lost my parents. It is hard to imagine you won’t see him again, hear his booming voice, or laugh at his stories. But those memories live in you and one day you will share them with your family as he did with you. And he will be able to read your blog now and be even more proud of you! Big hugs!

2. Amanda
    October 26, 2016 @ 7:56 pm

Prayers for you and yours. He was a great man! SAFE travels back home as well.

3. Lisa
    October 26, 2016 @ 8:17 pm

Awe Susan, you made this girl cry. My heart is heavy for you and I am so sorry you lost your Poppaw. I wish I had the opportunity to meet such a giant of a man with a golden heart. He didn’t read your blog, just as he never told you he loved you. He knew, you his little granddaughter, was a success. Just as you knew, he truly loved you without saying so. Memories are how we get past the heartache. The sorrow you feel today will eventually fade in time. And the tears you shed today, tomorrow and in the future will turn into smiles for all that you experienced and shared with this great man. His memory will forever live on in your heart and no one, not no one, can ever take that away. May God give you comfort.

4. Lori Dillon
    October 26, 2016 @ 8:19 pm

So well written Susan!! LOVED it!! Wish I could have seen you today!! Love you!! ?

5. Katrina
    October 26, 2016 @ 8:47 pm

That was wonderfully written, Susan. I feel like I knew your grandpa, and of course, I did not. Sorry for your loss.

6. Des
    October 26, 2016 @ 10:30 pm

What a beautiful tribute for someone who was clearly more than just a man. He reminded me of a Paul Bunyon here, and a little of my own dad, and I’m certain he knew you loved him. Love him. And always will.

• Dotty Fields
      October 27, 2016 @ 8:42 pm

I am so glad your Mother shared this so I “could read your blog”. What a wonderful tribute to the grandfather you had with you for so long. What a blessing that was. And what you know in your heart is he loved you and you loved him. That’s all that matters.

7. Frances P. Maggard
    October 27, 2016 @ 10:56 pm

Well said Susan. I’m SURE Uncle Cecil KNEW you loved him, the same as you KNEW he LOVED you. Praying for the family, because when one hurts we ALL hurt. As long as we follow the footprints they laid down for us we will do great. The examples Left by granny Reba and others (who have Already left us) are a WONDERFUL heritage. They show us whatwe need to live this life.
    P.S. THANKS FOR BEING THERE TO HELP(either JANE79, my mom, or Aunt Martha78) . I’m sure the help was appreciated.

8. Big
    October 28, 2016 @ 12:15 am

Wow! Your amazing story hit so close to home. I never realized it until I read your story. My Grandpa never told me out loud that he loved me. Like yours, he didn’t have to, I knew he loved me by just his actions and words of wisdom he shared with me. We are both lucky to have had men like that in our lives, to guide us and to love us.
    I am so sorry for your loss but keep this tidbit of information close to your heart,
    “Your Poppaw will always be in your heart and forever live on in your memory”