I can not take credit for this.
The truth is, we happened to have Oreos in the house thanks to the PickyPalate Popover experiment, and Jon had an unexpected day off. It seems that whenever he’s home on a weekday, I’m forced to make some kind of breakfast. Of course, usually it’s popovers, but he saw the leftover blue package of cookies and the Oreo Stuffed French Toast melee ensued.
Oreo Stuffed French Toast. The typing of that phrase alone almost makes me diabetic, but the fat girl in me gets giddy thinking about it. Who doesn’t love a chocolaty, sweet Oreo? Who doesn’t love French Toast? Why NOT combine the two? It’s really simple logic.
Try it for yourself, but be warned…two pieces are enough. Three leads to the need for insulin.
Somehow, somewhere, there’s beauty in that.
Oreo Stuffed French Toast
- Baguette Bread, sliced 1 1/2 inches thick
- 8 Oreo Cookies
- 4 ounces Cream Cheese, softened
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- butter, for frying
- Using a sharp knife make a slit in the side of each piece of bread, making a pocket to place the Oreos in. Before inserting the Oreos, spoon a dollop of softened cream cheese into the pocket, then insert an Oreo. Repeat until all bread slices have been filled.
- In a shallow but wide bowl, lightly beat eggs into milk and vanilla.
- Heat skillet or griddle to 350. While griddle is heating, begin dipping prepared stuffed bread into the egg mixture, coating thoroughly.
- When griddle is hot, coat with butter before placing each slice. Cook until brown on all sides.
- Serve with chocolate syrup and whipped cream.
Have a great week everyone!