Strawberry Limeade Cupcakes.
Let that sink in for a minute.
Sounds like spring and summer, all wrapped up in a nice little bow, doesn’t it? Yeah, it kinda does. Flavors like citrus and berries just shout warm weather, and these tasty cupcakes do not disappoint.
I was challenged by Pillsbury to take a couple of their new flavor options and create a dessert that really made them sing. These cupcakes? They definitely do some singing. And the best part is, though the flavor combo sounds like it should involve a bit of effort, these really don’t. You see, Pillsbury’s new line offers up a Key Lime Cake Mix…and a Strawberry Marshmallow Fluff icing. So, kids, you’re most of the way there without ever really having to break a sweat.
What I did to make them a little fussier (read: Bakery Looking, aka Expensive Looking, aka I Care About Them Looking) was to use two types of icing, a little sprinkle action, and a shaving of lime zest and food coloring. Honestly, from start to finish, I was done in less than an hour. 20 of those minutes I spent on my butt waiting for the cupcakes to bake, and 10 more minutes were spent on the same butt waiting for them to cool.
I’m good at that butt part.
Strawberry Limeade Cupcakes
- 1 – Pillsbury Key Lime Cake Mix
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup Lemon Lime Soda
- 2 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- teaspoons lime juice
- 1 cup prepared lime curd
- 1 container Pillsbury Strawberry Fluff Icing
- 1 container Pillsbury Vanilla Fluff Icing
- green food coloring
- zest of 2 limes
- Preheat oven to 350. Prepare 20-24 cupcake liners in muffin tin. Set aside.
- Prepare cake mix using eggs, soda, oil, and lime juice. Scoop evenly into prepared liners and bake at 350 for 19-22 minutes.
- While cupcakes are baking, prepare icing. Scoop 2 heaping tablespoons of vanilla fluff into bowl and add green food coloring as desired and lime zest. Stir until uniform. Add icing in a strip to one side of a piping bag. Fill remainder of bag with the uncolored vanilla icing.
- When cupcakes have baked and cooled, remove a small center portion and fill each cavity with prepared lime curd. Replace cake plug, and ice wit strawberry fluff icing. Roll icing in sprinkles, if desired. Top with green and white piped icing. Garnish with additional lime zest. Serve and enjoy!
How would you like to win a great gift pack from Pillsbury? Including…get this…a $100 Visa Gift Card and some great Pillsbury products?
Just leave me a comment here letting me know what flavors say Spring/Summer to YOU.
If you’d like another chance to win, share this post with your friends on Facebook or Twitter. Just be sure to leave me a separate comment for each of the ways you share, and once again, you have an additional chance to win!
Disclaimer: This post is sponsored by Pillsbury. All thoughts and opinions are my own. Giveaway supplied and shipped by Pillsbury. US Addresses only, please. Giveaway entry period ends April 22, 2015, at 11:59pm EST. Winner will be notified via email address provided at entry.